Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
James Gulick looks around at the recovering drug addicts in the room and thinks: Yeah, I fit in here. He has the whole sad list of credentials: the estranged family, the drained bank account, the regrets.

But he doesn't look the part. The 62-year-old crack cocaine addict stands out among the dozens of people in his Fredericksburg treatment group, with his full head of white hair and bifocals in a sea of goateed young men and young women in tight jeans.

Check the rest...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I've personally worked with addicts of all ages from every conceivable background in my career. Most was when I was a mental health therapist, but naturally as a probation/parole officer I still see my share of it. I've counseled a homeless 48 year old man who a year before owned a string of Radio Shack stores, had a beautiful home, a wife, kids...the whole nine yards. Blew it on dope. I've counseled a highly trained and certified nurse who rose to the position of head charge nurse at one of America's leading university hospitals. She started hooking the samples closet for pain pills. Two years later, she was a homeless prostitute.

It's tragic. The worst part for me is, it's 100% preventable. People make the choice to take drugs. They may do it the first time (or the first fifty times, or....) and suffer little to no negative effects. Sooner or later, it's going to bite you. And sometimes it bites hard.

I've seen literally thousands of ruined lives over drugs. Both the addicts and their families who have suffered so much due to their loved one's habit. I've watched people DT. It ain't pretty. I've seen them hallucinate, one guy banging on a church door with all his might screaming in real terror for divine protection from the demons chasing him. This guy drank three fifths of vodka in less than eight minutes. He topped that with pills. Took off in the middle of breakfast. Showed up later at the church, with the minister calling our crisis team for help. I've seen a potential early round NFL draft pick, recruited by Notre Dame among others, who took LSD one time...ONE time...stepped in front of a concrete truck because he thought he was transparent and made of fluid...he wasn't. Neither was his knee he wrenched that day. When I met him, he blithely told me that his address was "that bush out behind XXXX Jefferson Street". Last time I saw him, he was on his way to inpatient rehab...for the 39th time in his 35 years of life.

[/SnP sermon]