Dumpster diving

my landlord has a debris clearing business and one day they had this sugar truck wreck on the highway. he hauled about a ton of sugar to his empty lot. it was still in the bags, 50 lb bags. some were gross with road gunk on them, but some were cool. won't be running out of sugar for a long time......hoping for a rice truck wreck next...

LOL! We finally ran out of sugar some time towards the end of '05.

In my area, you have to call for "special pickup" if you have stuff that won't fit in a garbage truck; furniture, wood, stuff like that. My Dad used to find out when special pickup day was and drive the neighborhood with his pickup truck, picking up stuff as he went along. As he always says, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Hell yes, in just one special pickup day about 2 years ago I got a 19" TV, a snowboard, 2 practically new turntables, 2 tall director's chairs, an electric lawnmower, and a bunch of other little stuff. No kidding.

I get tons of stuff from yard sales, flea markets, the trash, etc. I've got a nice collection of vintage recievers, including some rare Fisher tube stuff. Plenty of big CRTs (like ten, all 19-22" good quality stuff), some speakers (my really nice BIC speakers for nine bucks), computers of course. Got a good find at my school, three 1997-circa IBM Model M keyboards (the REAL bucking spring mechanical keyboards that let me type like 80 wpm)

I've never picked from a dumpster. I'm always afraid of what kind of crap it may have gone through before hitting the trash!

We've got a factory here in town that makes pressed board cabinets. You can almost always find any kind of pressed wood you want in it, usually all formica'd and everything. If they find a little scratch or a bent corner, it goes in the dump. About the best find was a 48" round tabletop. I'm still not sure what was wrong with it, I never could find any damage on it. My guess is I just got there before the guy that put it in there did. :)

Man! I wish I lived near there. I need a board 14 X 35 ish and I don't wanna pay Lowe's for it. I know as soon as I do I'll find one laying around somewhere.
<----Cheapo

Back