Electronics question(speakers)

HeXp£Øi±

I've got a subwoofer that has a blown out amp but the speaker itself is perfectly good. I'm thinking about splicing the old subwoofer into the new one. I'm wondering what the drawbacks to this will be. I've done it with regular speakers with success but seems like the subwoofer would need all the juice it can get. Would any drawbacks only occur at high volume or ???

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I've done that. You do lose some power at high volumes, but otherwise it works fine.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
just make sure that impedance matches, otherwise you could damage the speaker or get low volume.

HeXp£Øi±

I mean using the amp on the one good sub and run it to both subs. The speakers are close to the same power rating so i'm not really concerned about damaging the second sub, i'm just wondering if this is going to make any performance difference at all. Should i even bother to do this?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
maybe just lower volume, but if the amp has enough power it won't be a problem.

Luis G said:
just make sure that impedance matches, otherwise you could damage the speaker or get low volume.

not really the speaker, the output transistors on the amp would feel it more and mostly with low impedance, if the subs are 8 ohm and the amp is rated for 8 ohm min if you hook em up in parallel then the load is 4 ohm, which at high volume can toast the amp, high impedance don't matter too much cept you lose volume power.