Entertainers that "REPRESENT"

greenfreak

I'm listening to John Cougar Mellencamp's Greatest Hits and I always think of rural America when I think of him.

In the way of entertainers, I always think of Bruce Springsteen representing New Jersey, Billy Joel representing New York and more specifically Long Island. U2 & Sinead O'Connor--Ireland...

I'd be interested to know who you think represents your own neck of the woods and others.

Cashman & West did the absolute best NYC song ever--American City Suite.
I always think of Phoenix when I hear the Tubes, although I think they think of themselves as an LA band.
Steely Dan always makes me think of Ithaca, NY because I was really into them when I was in college. Aztec Two-Step as well.
Bob Dylan makes me proud to be from a country that could spawn Bob Dylan.
To answer your question, though, {insert any country artist's name here} represents my "neck of the woods." I live just outside of Nashville.

chcr said:
I always think of Phoenix when I hear the Tubes, although I think they think of themselves as an LA band.

Formed in Phx, perfected (and I use that word loosely) in LA...

same with Alice Cooper('cept is was Detroit instead of LA)

Formed in Phx, perfected (and I use that word loosely) in LA...
Yeah, we used to go to Phoenix clubs and see them from time to time while I was living in Tucson.
Never really got in to Alice, although a gay friend always though he was "hot."?(

Umm... Good grief. Who would want to be accused of representing Crawfordville, FL-- or Tallahassee either, for that matter? Pick your favorite country-rock band, I guess.

u2 for what i truely call home, toad the wet sprocket for where i am now. pink floyd when im in my room and not doing anything. Godhead too for what i again truely call home since they are DC based or wer before they moved.

Gonz said:
Molly Hatchett?

Heh. Gawd, I haven't thought about Molly Hatchett in years. They would've been a pretty good choice about 20 years ago. :p

The thing about Tallahassee is that it doesn't really have a distinct character. At the base is the old south, but overlying that you have the new south with students from all over the place attending FSU, people coming from all over the state to work for the state government, and in many places these liberalizing influences have an effect on the new generations of the old south population, but in other places the old south lives on.

So someone in the southern rock genre, but with a more progressive flavor... maybe Tom Petty. He even comes from Gainesville which is only 150 miles from here, and has a similar cultural mix.

Head up to Athens, GA, and you've got REM. Atlanta bands, hmm...

Black Crowes
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Mother's Finest (my personal fav of the three).

If you want good Hawaiian music from HILO, HAWAII:

Kekuhi Kanahele, Kainani Kahaunaele, Darlene Ahuna, Kahikina :headbang:

Detroit, MI - KISS
Austin, TX - Butthole Surfers
San Fran, CA - Grateful Dead
Akron/Cleveland, OH - NIN, Marilyn Manson, Pretenders, Joe Walsh? .....not sure on this one

kuulani said:
Ardsgaine said:
What about Don Ho?

I thought this thread was for people you're proud of :confuse3:

Seriously though, Don Ho isn't from Hilo :D

Oh... well... it's just that when I think of Hawaiian music I think of Don Ho... and Elvis, of course. ;)

Back