Europe about to leave stone age

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gadgets which transmit MP3 players' output so they can be heard on FM radios may become legal in the UK.

Communications regulator Ofcom is holding a public consultation over the issue until September.

Using iTrips and other "low-power FM transmitters" is banned in Europe as their low-power transmissions can, in theory, interfere with legal stations.

The devices and other similar MP3 player accessories are popular abroad and widely available online.

The Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949 forbids the use of radio equipment without a licence or an exemption.

But the gadgets are now expected to become legal to use - without a license - by 2007.

Liberal Democrat culture, media and sport spokesman Don Foster said: "I am delighted Ofcom have ended this ludicrous ban, based on 1940s legislation... which threatened two years imprisonment to music lovers using iTrips.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5180958.stm

Real men have no need for a FM transmitter. Stop snivelling and install an FM modulator, pansies.

Altron said:
Real men have no need for a FM transmitter. Stop snivelling and install an FM modulator, pansies.

That's almost priceless.

Back