FAO Starya and anyone else!

tonksy

that's what i love about english pubs...such quaint names...the dog and duck, the square ballon....

Professur

Last time I was in Glasgow, lunch every day was at the Bay Horse. Dinner was usually a chippy between pubs 9 and 10 of the day. Damn I miss Dad.

ClaireBear

Banned
Professur said:
Last time I was in Glasgow, lunch every day was at the Bay Horse. Dinner was usually a chippy between pubs 9 and 10 of the day. Damn I miss Dad.

Are we distantly related?

Although really that reads like the life of most Brits... not much else to do on the Island really...

I just love pubs... the names don't bother me... but the influx of cafe bars with silly or poncey names... "Popollos" "Chase" "Apartment" "The living Room" "@Home" "Secco" "Revolution"... are sometimes hard to swallow... but not as hard as the over priced booze! :D

Professur

It's not unlikely, Claire. I've family in the Darlington area.

Best named english pub I've been is was the Hole in the Wall.

But I doubt many brits did what Dad and I did. 2 solid weeks, mostly on foot, in Glasgow. With the exception of the Bay Horse (where we started off most days), and the pub at the bottom of the street from my aunt's house (where we finished off most days, closing it) most pubs we only hit once. A full pint of heavy in each. Pie and Peas, Jack's roll and sausage to keep the strength up. And a history lesson in damn near each and every pub, since most had been there, under the same management, from Dad's younger days. Hell, he even was recognised in two of them, and he hadn't lived there in decades.

ClaireBear

Banned
Professur said:
It's not unlikely, Claire. I've family in the Darlington area.

By 'eck... worlds a small place innit? Can't even turn your head without clapping eyes on someone with NorthEastern heritage... I had my first ever TP in Darlo... might have taught a few of your distant rellies then!

But I doubt many brits did what Dad and I did. 2 solid weeks, mostly on foot, in Glasgow. With the exception of the Bay Horse (where we started off most days), and the pub at the bottom of the street from my aunt's house (where we finished off most days, closing it) most pubs we only hit once. A full pint of heavy in each. Pie and Peas, Jack's roll and sausage to keep the strength up. And a history lesson in damn near each and every pub, since most had been there, under the same management, from Dad's younger days. Hell, he even was recognised in two of them, and he hadn't lived there in decades.

Piece of piss! And my... I bet you did! :D :p

They're the best kind of memories Prof... Your Dad sounds great.

ClaireBear

Banned
Oz said:
Those poor people :(

*lives 15mins from Darlington :D

I was going to mention the greater chance of Prof being related to you distantly... but thought the man may need nightmare free sleep for the rest of his natch! :p :D

Wotcha Oz! :wave2:

abooja

There's a pub in Greenwich Village called "The Slaughtered Lamb" that I used to walk by on my weekly treks to buy imported LPs as a teenager. I never visited it, but it looked dark enough inside to attract the right clientele. (My brother's old accounting firm used to do their books.) I just found this amusing anecdote about it that some of you might enjoy. :cool:

Starya

Hey, is there anything to see in Leeds, by the way? That's not too far off, can't be that expensive on a bus (coach? which is it?) eh?

Oz

ClaireBear said:
I was going to mention the greater chance of Prof being related to you distantly... but thought the man may need nightmare free sleep for the rest of his natch! :p :D

Wotcha Oz! :wave2:

It's possible....doubtfull tho'....dont' think me family had much to do with Darlo or soapdodgers :D

Oz

Professur said:
They're from Glasgow, moved specifically to Newton Aycliff.

That's deffo right on me doorstep.......Newton A. is one of my old stomping grounds...a matey of mine and his missus still lives in Woodham (kinda suburb of Aycliffe) :swing:

Starya

ClaireBear said:
As promised...

This is probably the best most comprehensive guide... it also includes my fave pub.. The Mucky Duck... or rather "The Black Swan".. Its more of a summer bar but the decors not bad... and "The Hogshead" looks like its gone all up market!

http://www.theyorkguide.com/index.php
We were at the Black Swan last thursday. Quite entertaining. :D

Raven

Annoying SOB
Starya said:
Hey, is there anything to see in Leeds, by the way? That's not too far off, can't be that expensive on a bus (coach? which is it?) eh?
Anything to see in Leeds.....yes....lot's of drunken university goers and a few pretty decent nightclubs. Not bad for shopping either.