favourite 80s movies?

freako104

sort of a take on tonksy's thread this is movies. i also watched the i love the 80s on VH1 and made me think of it

The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Terminator
Predator
Return of the Jedi
Labyrinth
Flash dance
Highlander

The Breakfast Club - oh, hell yeah...judd hirsch put me into puberty
Weird Science - i love this movie!
Return of the Jedi - absolutely my fav of all the sw movies....han solo helped judd hirsch out quite a bit...
Labyrinth - yupyup....a fav
Highlander - are their people alive that don't like this movie?

and i have to add legend and top gun....only tom cruise movies i like...incidentally, tim curry played the devil in legend and he is one of my favorite actors.
and also platoon, cuz it qualifies...bull durham...some kind of wonderful...did the hellraisers come out in the 80's?

The 80s were the decade from hell... :mad:
Lousy movies, shitty music, and a B-movie actor as President of the United States

I am so glad they're over....

*loves blanket statements :rolleyes:*
well...that's when I grew up, had my coming of age, and when lots of the things I love were borne, even if others don't feel the same.

I have waaaaaaaay too many movies to list freako :lol:
um...Raiders of the Lost Ark?

I LOVED Labyrinth ^_^
And Hawks... but not sure if that was 80s :)

I can't remeber much of the other movies from that time. >_<

Hmm.....lessee...

Dune
Bladrunner
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Ghostbusters :D
Beetlejuice
Dead Poets Society
Blues Brothers
Big Trouble in Little China
This is Spinal Tap
Highlander
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Princess Bride
Uncle Buck
Rain Man
Aleins
The Untouchables
Stripes
The Naked Gun
The Name of the Rose

prolly more I've forgotten......

Disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure all of those are from the eighties...

unclehobart said:
Better Off Dead
Ferris Buellers Day Off
The Princess Bride
Gremlins
Heck yeah Unc! I love Better off Dead! Truly excellent movie. I'd have to add two other John Cusack movies - Say Anything and One Crazy Summer. Good stuff! :D

*read the thread*

None of the ladies named Dirty Dancing? :confused:

Most of the lasses I grew up with thought it was the dogs danglies!

Was it not that big a hit in the states?

DROP DEAD FRED!!!!!!!

jesus, people! tell me you've seen this...and if you haven't you should. at least, i'm pretty sure it was an 80's movie....and i'm ashamed of myself that the dudes name is not coming to me....but it has phoebe cates and carrie fisher....but the dude makes the movie!

tonksy
this is your brain on drugs

tonks said:
DROP DEAD FRED!!!!!!!

jesus, people! tell me you've seen this...and if you haven't you should. at least, i'm pretty sure it was an 80's movie....and i'm ashamed of myself that the dudes name is not coming to me....but it has phoebe cates and carrie fisher....but the dude makes the movie!

tonksy
this is your brain on drugs
OH I love that movie tonksy! Drop Dead Fred was played by Rik Mayall (sp?). He was awesome!

Fred said:
Well why don't we harpoon Charles straight through the head, drag him back to the apartment, and hit him with a hammer until he agrees to come back?
:rofl2:

SexyBoo said:
OH I love that movie tonksy! Drop Dead Fred was played by Rik Mayall (sp?). He was awesome!

:rofl2:
when he said cobwobs....i almost died....and remember the livingroom rug? i have to see this again.....rik mayall? thanks...thats right...er maybe not the spelling but....

Leslie said:
*loves blanket statements :rolleyes:*
well...that's when I grew up, had my coming of age, and when lots of the things I love were borne, even if others don't feel the same.
Sorry, Leslie... :( you're right, blanket statements are wrong. I'm glad you have fond memories of the 80s; maybe it's because you were living in Canada. My own memories are of a decade filled with self-centered Baby Boomers who had traded in their idealism for BMWs, a time where material possessions were fetishized and conspicuous consumption was considered a perfectly valid raison d'etre. *puke*

Still, there WERE some good movies made in the 80s. It took a while, but here's my list:

Allegro ma non troppo (1985)
Barfly (1987)
Betrayal (1983)
Blue Velvet (1986)
Brazil (1988)
Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982)
Diva (1981)
The Dead (1987)
Kagemusha (1980)
Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (1985)
Mona Lisa (1986)
My Beautiful Laundrette (1985)
My Dinner with Andre (1981)
Paris, Texas (1984)
Sammy and Rosie Get Laid (1987)
Tampopo (1985)
Trouble in Mind (1986)
The Verdict (1982)
Wall Street (1987)
The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)

Ms Ann Thrope said:
a decade filled with self-centered Baby Boomers who had traded in their idealism for BMWs, a time where material possessions were fetishized and conspicuous consumption was considered a perfectly valid raison d'etre. *puke*

that's changed? I still see it everywhere I look

Yeah... but now they don't wear string ties, boat shoes with Ocean Pacific tees.

Brazil! I have that one on DVD. I still can't talk anyone into watching it with me.

yes, it's still around, but I don't think it's glorified as much...there is a growing number of people working on simplifying their lives, imo...I certainly see it around me :shrug:

Back