favourite 80s movies?

unclehobart said:
Yeah... but now they don't wear string ties, boat shoes with Ocean Pacific tees.

Brazil! I have that one on DVD. I still can't talk anyone into watching it with me.

but I like boat shoes and Ocean Pacific tees! :mope:

Oz, Oz, Oz...

Have you ever read the book "Dune?" That movie was quite possibly the worst adaptation of a novel in the history of film making. The single actor that was in any way believable as a character was Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck. I always felt sorry for him for having been stuck in that piece of shit.

BTW, my wife liked it too, and I married her anyway. :D
Blade Runner
Now there is an example of a fairly good adaptation of a novel.

Unc, I'll watch Brazil with you anytime. I liked that one.

chcr said:
Oz, Oz, Oz...

Have you ever read the book "Dune?" That movie was quite possibly the worst adaptation of a novel in the history of film making. The single actor that was in any way believable as a character was Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck. I always felt sorry for him for having been stuck in that piece of shit

I can't argue that the movie is a bad representation of the book. But, I did the whole thing arse-to-tit.......saw the movie first and then picked up the first novel. Have to admit, that as my first experience to the Dune universe, I found the movie enjoyable.......hence it's honourable mention here :)

Hmm, this talk of adaptation reminds me of another 80's movie that I enjoyed (to it's defence tho'....it did only claim to be based on Mallory's writing).

Excalibur.

Did somebody say "Dune"? Love that book! Read the whole series twice in a matter of years. :D

Btw: the Bladerunner movie is nothing like the book, but it *is* a great movie.

the book was far better than the movie but ill admit i did enjoy the movie. i also like the revenge of the nerds :nerd: :lloyd:

BeardofPants said:
Did somebody say "Dune"? Love that book! Read the whole series twice in a matter of years. :D

Btw: the Bladerunner movie is nothing like the book, but it *is* a great movie.

You didn't think that being familiar with the book ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" for the uninitiated) enhanced the movie? I thought that while it left a lot out, it captured the spirit (and the dichotomy) of the book fairly well. Have you seen the director's cut? Dune, on the other hand, is one of my favorite series of books. I thought the movie tried to be another space opera and totally missed the messianic story Herbert was telling.

Have you ever read "The White Plague" also by Herbert? Excellent story.

BTW, Oz, I really liked Excalibur too.

Oz said:
Hmm, this talk of adaptation reminds me of another 80's movie that I enjoyed (to it's defence tho'....it did only claim to be based on Mallory's writing).

Excalibur.
ahem...Malory.......sir thomas malory...it's my daughter name...malory..... :winkkiss:

tonks said:
ahem...Malory.......sir thomas malory...it's my daughter name...malory..... :winkkiss:

Well, 99% of my spelling is an aproximation at best :D :winkkiss:

Favourite Movies: Return of the Living Dead pt 2

Reanimator
From Beyond

is From Beyond the one by Lucio Fulci? cause there is an old 70's movie i have called the Beyond. and From Beyond is a great story by HP Lovecraft

freako104 said:
is From Beyond the one by Lucio Fulci? cause there is an old 70's movie i have called the Beyond. and From Beyond is a great story by HP Lovecraft

Couldn't for the life of me remember who made it Freako. But it is based loosely (very loosely) on the HP Lovecraft story, as is Reanimator (both set in the 1980's as opposed to the Lovecraft 1920's)

Oz said:
Couldn't for the life of me remember who made it Freako. But it is based loosely (very loosely) on the HP Lovecraft story, as is Reanimator (both set in the 1980's as opposed to the Lovecraft 1920's)

im going to look for it thanks mate

Fast Times At Ridgemont High
The NeverEnding Story
Blues Brothers
Back to the Future
Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads feature-length music video)
The Muppet Movie (well, it was 1979, but whatever)
The Breakfast Club
Dead Poets Society
Beetlejuice

Back