Finger Lickin' is Hazardous to your Health

Cerise

Duh.

From cnn:

Fast food chain says suit is 'frivolous' and vows court fight

Tuesday, June 13, 2006; Posted: 5:10 p.m. EDT (21:10 GMT)

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (AP) -- A doctor and a consumer group have sued KFC in an effort to stop the chicken chain from cooking with high-fat partially hydrogenated oil.

Dr. Arthur Hoyte, a retired physician from Rockville, Maryland, and the Center for Science in the Public Interest, want a judge to order Kentucky Fried Chicken to use other types of cooking oils.

As an alternative, the suit says, they want to make sure customers are informed about trans fat content immediately before they make a purchase.

KFC spokeswoman Laurie Schalow called the lawsuit frivolous and said the company will fight it in court. Schalow said KFC is looking at using other types of oil for cooking, but it is committed to maintaining "KFC's unique taste and flavor."

KFC provides nutrition and fat information to consumers online and in restaurants, Schalow said.

"We have for a very long time," she said.

Michael Jacobsen, the executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, said Louisville-based KFC parent company Yum Brands Inc. knows that other, healthier cooking products are available.

"KFC knows this, yet it recklessly puts its customers at risk of a Kentucky Fried Coronary," Jacobsen said.

Hoyte said he is suing to force KFC to change its cooking practices "for my son and others' kids, so they may have a healthier, happier, trans-fat-free future."

"If I had known that KFC uses an unnatural frying oil, and that their food was so high in trans fat, I would have reconsidered my choices," Hoyte said.

Hoyte and the consumer group are seeking class-action status for the lawsuit and asking a judge to let Hoyte represent anyone who ate at a Washington, D.C.-area KFC in 2004 and 2005. Along with stopping KFC from using oil with trans fats, they are asking for a variety of economic damages.

The Food and Drug Administration says trans fat raises bad cholesterol. The government agency this year started requiring food labels to list trans fats.

The lawsuit is the second time in the last three years that KFC and the Center for Science in the Public Interest have crossed paths.

KFC settled a complaint filed by the group with the Federal Trade Commission in 2004 over ads claiming its fried chicken was compatible with then-popular low-carb diets.

Under the settlement, KFC also was barred from running advertisements saying that eating its food is healthier than eating another food unless it can back the claims up scientifically.

If it's called "fast food" then it's probably not good for you. Think about what you put in your gullet, everything in moderation and no lawsuit is necessary.

"If I had known that KFC uses an unnatural frying oil, and that their food was so high in trans fat, I would have reconsidered my choices," Hoyte said.

You're a doctor. You're saying you thought fried chicken was healthy?

Where is it? I know it's layin around here somewh...ah there it is!

:trout:

Along with stopping KFC from using oil with trans fats, they are asking for a variety of economic damages.

why am I not suprised to find that line in there. And phrased to look like something other than "They want money"

Fucking twats. Your public needs to make a stand here, and shout this one down before some bleeding heart judge makes another McDonald's coffee fiasco.

All the negative/bad shit is in the skin and batter, so the claimed doctor does not know enough to remove the skin before eating?

This reminds me of a story years ago from NYC where a 98 year old man was asked to what he attributed his long life. As I remember, after he turned 70 he said smoked one cigar a day, drank 4 oz. of whisky a day and cooked everything in fatback, bacon grease being far to lean. :rofl:

chcr said:
This reminds me of a story years ago from NYC where a 98 year old man was asked to what he attributed his long life. As I remember, after he turned 70 he said smoked one cigar a day, drank 4 oz. of whisky a day and cooked everything in fatback, bacon grease being far to lean. :rofl:

Just goes to show that moderation in most things works... I bet he didn't have a sedentary desk job either... :lol:

Cigar smokers have a higher risk of various cancers than cigarette smokers but only if they smoke 3 or more a day and most cigar smokers tend not to inhale as deeply as cigarette smokers, thus reducing their exposure and risk... however on a salutary note, cigarette smokers who change to cigars increase their risk of various cancers, etc because they inhale more deeply. Whiskey in moderation (3 shots a day for men equivalent to 4 1/2 ounces) is good for you, it lowers blood cholesterol, counteracting the fats consumed.

Am I the only one that sees the "Lunatic Lounge" as a perfect setting for this news item. ROTFLMAO

I hope this lawsuit gets thrown into the frying vat where it belongs.

BeardofPants said:
Kentucky FRIED Chicken. Chrissakes. Danged yankees really will sue anything that moves. :rolleyes:

They actually went as only "KFC" for most of the 1990s because of the bad health connotations of "fried."

As for Wendy's... I usually get chili instead of fries there. In part to spice things up a bit, because I actually like their chili, and in part to support them after that woman claimed to have found the finger in there, and it turned out she planted a family member's finger.

BeardofPants said:
Kentucky FRIED Chicken. Chrissakes. Danged yankees really will sue anything that moves. :rolleyes:

You may be too young to remember Colonel Sanders at the end of his commercials singing: "If you want Kentucky Fried Chicken you'll have to visit me." Memories....

Inkara1 said:
They actually went as only "KFC" for most of the 1990s because of the bad health connotations of "fried."

Kinda like Sugar Bear changing the name of his cereal to "Super Golden Crisp."

C'mon Sugar, we know.

sugar_bear.jpg

Cabbage-y fingers CAN NOT be good!

BTW - do you guys not get the grilled option at KFC there? Never have tried it (I detest KFC) but I was wondering it it's supposed to be called KGC?

I don't think they have grilled chicken at KFC here... if they do, it might be on some sandwiches or something. The buckets of chicken are fried.

Back