Fire extinguishers

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Is the stuff in it REALLY poisonous?

Ammonium Phosphate - no poison label on the canister whatsoever.

I found the MSDS on the only ingredient listed on the can and it seems sort of ok. Whatever the other ingredients are is a mystery.

Ammonium phosphate and potassium nitrate are generally considered to have low toxicity by all routes of exposure. Ingestion of these chemicals may also cause nausea and vomiting with irritation to the mouth, throat, esophagus, and stomach. High concentrations of dusts or mists may cause upper respiratory tract irritation with coughing and nasal discharge.

Oooooooooook good!! Thanks!

I'm not breathing too great but I couldn't tell if it was hypochondria or not :lloyd:

I'll save the anxiety attack for later lol.

So your not going to tell us why you needed to use an extinguisher :hmm: .I bet its a reallllyyyy good story too.

I didn't need to use it, and it's a BAD BAD story! :D

It sucks all the more cause now I don't have one anymore.

I bought all these juice pouches cause they were 40 for 6 bucks which was a really good deal, and they're great to take to the beach and stuff cause they're freezable and yadda yadda yadda. Big heavyish box. But the kids REALLY like them. So I thought I'd put them in the broom closet in the kitchen so they wouldn't know they were there. But I picked up this box with the arm that has the pinched neck nerve, and the arm went numb as I went to put it on the floor in there, and I dropped the box, right onto the fire extinguisher. Which, having been knocked over, sprayed right into my face. After going AAAAAAH! and flying backwards and falling into the wall, I picked it up and put it out on the deck. Came back in. Looked out the window, saw it was still oozing stuff. Went out to look. Decided to see if it could be resealed up or if I had to do something so it wouldn't blow up or something till I figured out how to dispose of it. Touched the handle. Sprayed myself again. Doh.

The kids don't need juice boxes anymore.

Whilst in firefighting school they discussed such things and the major issue with extinguishers was the tempeature at which the stuff is dispersed. Very cold. Prolonged exposure topically can cause problems....but I should think you'll be okay. Yikes, though!

Basically, it depends on which type of extinguisher you have...anything from "tastes like shit" to freezer burn, whether it's a chemical extinguisher or CO2:shrug:

It 'was' an ABC, and all it says on it is the ammonium phosphate stuff. It says nothing else. I can't imagine it's ONLY the one ingredient in there?

I think I'll live though.

Definitely tastes like shit. :sick:

Back