Fired NFL coaches thread

unclehobart

Shell at the very least.

Coughlin?... 50/50.

I'm all for giving someone at least two years to establish a program.. but the Vikings... jesus... that guy should be fired.

It would almost be easier to talk about who's job is actually secure.

I wonder if Saban is going to jump back to college ball. He's making strides with the Dolphins. He could make it a real powerhouse if given another 2 years.

rrfield

The Vikings quit on Childress. He doesn't communicate with the players. Cut Marcus Robinson, teams leading receiver, on Christmas Eve, after he spoke out about the lack of communication. He kept Brad Johnson in as starter despite being competely ineffective, then when he did finally bench Johnson for the rookie Tarvaris Jackson he did not adjust the play calling to take advantage of Jackson's mobility. Refused to properly utilize Mewelde Moore at running back. No way Chester Taylor should have had as many carries as he had early in the season. Taylor should have been getting 18-22 carries instead of 30, with Moore getting 5-10. Did not involve Jermaine Wiggins in the gameplan, a TE with very sure hands who caught 71 balls a few seasons ago. Halftime adjustments were non-existant. In season adjustments were non-existant. Stubborn, inflexible, arrogant without past performance to fall back on when arrogance is pointed out.

rrfield

As of right now, you are correct. An NFL coach should get 3 years. After what I've seen this year, I'll give him 2.

tonksy

An NFL Network reporter said Raiders coach Art Shell will be fired after this season. Adam Schefter cited a "high-ranking Raiders official" who said Shell was good as done, to which the Raiders responded with a rebuke. "No decisions have been made relative to the 2007 Oakland Raiders nor will they be made for some time," a team statement said. "Adam Schefter could not have gotten his information from a 'reliable source' because there's only one reliable source and he doesn't trust Adam."
-- San Francisco Chronicle

And Adam's arguement was that if it was untrue they would come out and said "No, he will not be fired"...but they didn't.

chcr

Too cute for words
"Adam Schefter could not have gotten his information from a 'reliable source' because there's only one reliable source and he doesn't trust Adam."

And there are people who say Al Davis is bad for football. :rofl4:

Inkara1

Firing Art Shell after this year would be completely unfair. If things don't get better next year, there might be a case for it. But name me one person who could have gotten more wins out of that team than Shell did.

Give him a quarterback who won't hold on to the ball for five minutes, and give him some offensive linemen. The defense played well enough that if the team had ANY offense AT ALL, 6-10 or even 8-8 would have been a reasonable goal.

tonksy

I don't even know what they were thinking picking up Aaron Brooks. When he's on, he's on...but he ain't ever on.

Inkara1

The fact they signed the ultimate whinetit, Jeff George, for a couple of days as motivation for the other guys was rather, umm, funny.

tonksy

I'd imagine the Bucc's might be happy to have Warren sapp back too....I miss him. I remember hoping that he would be good for the Raiders but apparently he was not enough.

unclehobart

I think Cowher will say 'Yeah... I'll come back'... and then they'll fire his ass 24 hours later.

Football... such a fickle world.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Speaking as one Bucs fan only...

We love Warren Sapp. He was what the team needed. Past tense. Now what we need is someone to bitchslap Simeon Rice and remind him he is an elite pass rusher who should be eating record books for breakfast. What we need is a defnsive update/overhaul. Derrick Brooks is lovable as all hell, but he has a birthday purt near every year. We let Lynch go too soon, Ronde needs a little help, Alstott the human bulldozer is retried now, leaving no one to clear the road for Cadillac. If Chris Simms is the answer it had to be a stupid question.

Start with either Calvin Johnson or dude from USC...Jarrett. Either one'll be fine. Then spend some of that cap money and get some blood and guts linemen on both sides of the ball...dudes who would make Hacksaw Reynolds think twice. Decide tomorrow whether it's Simms or Gradkowski, then develop him into something resembling a quarterback. You got several draft picks coming...think linebacker, safety, and tight end. Make it painfully clear to Gruden that 2007 is a make or break season and that barring tragic injuries he is expected to have double digit wins, especially in that division. Remind him that there are worse jobs than coaching in Florida. Like coaching in Buffalo for example.

But as usual, my money says nobody in Tampa is paying particularly close attention to what one overweight yet unbearably attractive redneck in the hills of Tennessee thinks about a damn thing...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
And Adam's arguement was that if it was untrue they would come out and said "No, he will not be fired"...but they didn't.

How many reporters have been told that only to later have the team management change their mind? It means diddly-squat, either way.

chcr

Too cute for words
Shell's gone, IMO. Al has to be seen to be doing something and he ain't gonna fire himself now, is he?