Firewood prices

Sharky

Just out of curiosity, how much is firewood selling for in your area?

Around here split seasoned oak is going for $70 a pickup truck load (4x8 feet).

A half cord delivered is $80-90.

quick search of local ads online says about $180 per cord. at least the ones that gave a price.

You know, I grew up on a farm in upstate NY. We heated our house (in weather much like what the Montrealians endure) with a wood fired furnace (it'd burn coal, when we had the money) . I have but two words for you Sharky: Gas Logs. :D

Spirit said:
I wish I had a fireplace :(
I wanted one too, but since we could realistically only use one indoors two months out of the year, I built mine outside on the patio. It's great for sitting outside on chilly evenings. :)

Spot said:
quick search of local ads online says about $180 per cord. at least the ones that gave a price.

You're in Indiana, right?

Gonz said:
awwwwww, is the panhandle getting chilly?
Yeah, it actually got below freezing last night. Porch-sittin' was right out. :(

I'm in Indiana. My brother-in-laws 18 year old daughter found out a year ago that thermostats exist & control these space age heating units called heaters. He exclusively uses a wood burner & pays zero. Cuts & splits his own.

chcr said:
You know, I grew up on a farm in upstate NY. We heated our house (in weather much like what the Montrealians endure) with a wood fired furnace (it'd burn coal, when we had the money) . I have but two words for you Sharky: Gas Logs. :D

Every year I look at this Vermont Castings gas log stove with lust in my heart, but they are freakin' expensive - I just can't justify the expense to only use it for two months a year.

My house is built of concrete block (cypress wood frame second floor) so I don't have central heating. I have a three-brick ventless gas stove downstairs that is more than adequate - I've never had to light more than two bricks - and it runs on propane (we don't have natural gas service here).

If I had a built-in fireplace indoors I would definitely go with gas logs. :cool:

Spot said:
close.
just south of Boston.
:lloyd:

Ah, it was Gonz who's the Hoosier. :eyemouth:

Gonz said:
I'm in Indiana. My brother-in-laws 18 year old daughter found out a year ago that thermostats exist & control these space age heating units called heaters. He exclusively uses a wood burner & pays zero. Cuts & splits his own.

That's a lot of work! I have to take down a hundred-year-old oak that cracked it's trunk in the hurricane, and it keeps getting put off because (a) it's going to be a huge job and (b) I keep hoping it will just fall over and save me the trouble of having to limb it. :D

A lot of work to pay nothing or work hard & pay the (fill in utiltiy here). Think of it as free aerobics. I know I do as I sit and watch his silly ass gettting all tuckered.

Spirit said:
I wish I had a fireplace :(
attachment.php

Like this?

HeXp£Øi± said:
$100 cord.
What part of the country, Hex? (you don't have to be specific)

Gonz said:
A lot of work to pay nothing or work hard & pay the (fill in utiltiy here). Think of it as free aerobics. I know I do as I sit and watch his silly ass gettting all tuckered.

I'd rather pay the propane bill. :nerd:

Gas logs?? Heresy! I wouldnt buy a house without at least one working fire place. My last one had a fire pit in the back yard too. I miss that... nothing like sitting up all night drinking around the fire pit roasting stuff and yackin it up.

HomeLANs mom owns some mountain property an hour and a half up the road with more wood than a stack of blue movies. All I have to do is go split my own and haul it back.

Back