Fish

We used to put them in the keepnet, then throw them back when we finished. I prefer my fish battered and fried.

Professur said:
A good slimy earthworm will drag in a fish faster than any lure. And that's great if you're hungry. but not if you're fishing. I'll fish for hours, and throw back everything 'cept one or maybe two borderline sized fish. The bigguns go back to make more bigguns. The tiddlers go back to grow up some. And most of the rest go back to feed the bigguns.

But when you're pulling a crank bait through weeds and suddenly a 14" smallmouth hits it, grabs air, and starts trying to pull a 14' boat ... Who the hell's thinking about his stomach?

Ahhh the thrill of the instantanious strike!Watching a swing set down next to a group of lilly pads only to be met by the fury and turbulence of a waiting bass...Truely a glorious moment....

I think my Bass tournament is internet capable.I'll check when I get home. We might be able to set something up.

Crappie and bass......oh yes, they will be mine.

* wants to go smallmouth fishing again, hates the fact that there are no good smallmouth waters in KS

Aunty Em said:
We used to put them in the keepnet, then throw them back when we finished. I prefer my fish battered and fried.

Just cause you catch'em yourself doesn'tm ean you can't batter and fry'em...

Nixy said:
Aunty Em said:

Just cause you catch'em yourself doesn'tm ean you can't batter and fry'em...

I almost always release my catch...but if I don't, they always end up for battered and fried. :headbang: and yuuuuuummy!

I've smallies, 12"+ perch, lake trout, catfish, and a variety of sunfish in our lake. But what I really want is Muskie.

I caught a fair number of Northerns when I was on a canoeing trip in the Boundary Waters a few years ago. The 30-40 inchers' are pretty fun to bring in on a canoe.

Mirlyn said:
I caught a fair number of Northerns when I was on a canoeing trip in the Boundary Waters a few years ago. The 30-40 inchers' are pretty fun to bring in on a canoe.

Muskie in a canoe? You're fucking nuts

um,,, i have a goldfish. it's nearly outgrowing its tank, tho...

it's about 5 inches of fish in 2 gallons of tank. the general rule is an inch of fish for each gallon of water. :(

:rofl: It is amusing to think of one of those wirey little bastards at about 40 inches flipping around a canoe and trying to grab it. Great fish to catch though. They fight well. btw...I always fish "no kill".

Are you nuts, Q? They're natural filters, cleaning up the muck and slime on the bottom? That's like killing your garbageman. No matter how much you want to shoot him, that'll only make your life worse.

The suckers are so think in the Iowa River that they'll attach to your leg when you go swimming, but you still throw em back.:wink2:

Professur said:
Mirlyn said:
Muskie in a canoe? You're fucking nuts
Pike, to be picky, but its basically same difference.

Caught several 25-27" which'll make you turn around in your seat. Caught a 36" that took the canoe nearly 180 degrees in a matter of seconds. Now THAT was fishing. :wink2:

Good times, good times. Especially when your gear is also in the canoe....and anyone who knows anything about the Boundary Waters knows that those are NOT THE WATERS to go belly up in on a 7 day float in May. ;)

It is amusing to think of one of those wirey little bastards at about 40 inches flipping around a canoe and trying to grab it
They usually only flop once or twice in the canoe. At that size, they have some pretty good aim. ;)

ash r said:
um,,, i have a goldfish. it's nearly outgrowing its tank, tho...

it's about 5 inches of fish in 2 gallons of tank. the general rule is an inch of fish for each gallon of water. :(

I wouldn't say too much about that... these guys'll have it gutted and in a pan before you can say "pondweed"! :lol:

Mom's pond is sporting 8 inch bluegill and 14 inch small-mouth. Time for a trip north, I do believe...

Back