Flickering screen after feeding time

Starya

A couple of years over due, I finally got around to treating my computer to a wee bit more RAM. But, now the computer screen flickers every now and then. It sort of goes black for a split second, and it seems like the picture kinda.. uhm.. ya know, disappears toward the middle of the screen and then pops out again. (Y'all understood that, yeah?)

Now, being fond of having a working computer, this behaviour worries me, and any helpful hints as to what it might be are appreciated.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Starya said:
A couple of years over due, I finally got around to treating my computer to a wee bit more RAM. But, now the computer screen flickers every now and then. It sort of goes black for a split second, and it seems like the picture kinda.. uhm.. ya know, disappears toward the middle of the screen and then pops out again. (Y'all understood that, yeah?)

Now, being fond of having a working computer, this behaviour worries me, and any helpful hints as to what it might be are appreciated.

How old is your monitor?

Are there any other electrical things near the monitor? Unshielded speakers can wreak havok with a monitor if they are too close...

Starya

The monitor is 6 years old, as the rest of the computer. Nothing near it that would cause this. The strange thing is that this has never occured prior to adding to the RAM.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Starya said:
The monitor is 6 years old, as the rest of the computer. Nothing near it that would cause this. The strange thing is that this has never occured prior to adding to the RAM.

Try swapping the RAM around in the slots. :shrug: Some banks don't like some RAM sticks...

chcr

Too cute for words
My guess is that the board is being finicky about the RAM. It seems clear you have on board video that shares RAM? I'm hoping Gato's swapping trick works (always put the largest stick in the first slot) but if it doesn't, there are some caveats involved in putting newer RAM in an older board. Density issues, PC-100 vs 133, etc. Sometimes they don't play nice together. Let us know.

Starya

Hm, I'll try swapping them around. They are both 128MB (wouldn't wanna spoil the damned thing..), and PC133, or so Everest claims. :p

chcr

Too cute for words
Starya said:
Hm, I'll try swapping them around. They are both 128MB (wouldn't wanna spoil the damned thing..), and PC133, or so Everest claims. :p
Well, that makes it less likely to be a compatibility issue, but I knw that certain VIA and AMD chipset mainboards can be very finicky about off-branded (read cheap) RAM. I've also had some trouble installing off-branded RAM in Compaq computers.

Could you post the specs on your computer (and the RAM if you have them)?

Starya

I am at school, so I don't have it now. But, the computer was a Fujitsu Siemens, and the old RAM was generic. The new RAM is a Kingston 128MB 133MHz Non-ECC CL3 DIMM.I seem to recall the chipset was nVidia.

chcr

Too cute for words
Well, it seems less and less likely to be a compatibility issue (still could be though). When you get a chance, more info on the computer might help. Also, look in the BIOS and make sure the computer is seeing all the RAM. Also, does the computer use the RAM for video?

Starya

Nevermind.

I was sitting on the buss on my way home and the kiddo called. Since he happened to be using the computer, I asked him if he had been experiencing any flickering like that today.
"Noo.. Oh wait, yeah. But not after I put the cord back in."
"The cord?"
"Yeah, it fell out."
"A cord.. fell out..?" I was puzzled. Naturally, the first thing I double checked when the problem arose was that I had inserted all cords properly after having been digging around in the computer.
"So, what cord are we talking about here?" I asked.
"I dunno. A cord on the back on the monitor." :lloyd:

If anyone wants me, I'll be in the bathroom dying my hair.

chcr

Too cute for words
Power cord loose? That should have occurred to me, it's happened to me a time or two. :blush: You should hear the guys I support when I tell them to unplug something then plug it back in. If you tell them to check it they'll only look at it.

Starya

Hmm, cords are firmly jammed up the monitors backside, still had a couple of flickers since then.. Guess I'll try that switcharoo, and take a looksy in the BIOS tomorrow evening then. To late to bother with it now. *yawns*