food shopping

unclehobart

I just made a pizza. In a cost saving measure I went for a large bag of the 1/3 less cost than the national brand of mozarella cheese. My bread rise was perfect ... top notch toppings ... but it came out as a disaster. The cheese didn't behave like cheese. It shriveled up brown and its taste was weak and waxy. It dried out completely. I have never seen such a cheaply constructed excuse for a dairy topping in my life. I had to peel that nasty layer off and just consign myself to eating a cheeseless pizza.

The store brand for some things are comparable and decent... like butter. There are mounds and mounds of things that are not ... and cheese has just been added to the list. I'm finding it harder and harder to cut cost corners since the quality that comes with said savings is wholly not worth it.

What kind of things do you cut corners on.. and what do you refuse to cut corners on?

Cheepo stuff:
canned and frozen vegetables
juice
frozen waffles
cookies
shampoo/conditioner

cleaning supplies I usually get at the dollar store, but I buy brand names

BABY DIAPERS!!

The cheap ones are just not worth it ... with their leaks and diaper rashes. Very no!!

...were you only talking about foodstuffs?

Its wide open. Speak of anything that comes to mind.

...as if a restriction ever kept a thread on target. har har

Ok, I've been at this for awhile, and I've bought almost everything generic that comes generic at one time or another.

Ok Generic Items:

Bread
Butter
Cheese (As long is it doesn't say Cheese food, look for the real sign)
Cereals (some, not all)
Cookies (sandwich cookies)
Canned Veggies

Things NOT to buy generic:

Ketchup (Heinz)
Mayo (Miracle Whip)
Peanut Butter (Skippy)
Shortening ( I always use butter flavor Crisco)
Snack Cakes ( Nutty bars, Swiss cake rolls, etc)
Frozen Veggies ( I haven't had good luck, Usually buy Green Giant)
Laundry Detergent (Tide)

And yes, Kuu is right, unless you like your child screaming cause his poor little ass is a brighter red than your red delicous apples, don't buy generic.

I also refuse to buy that generic ooo grit sandpaper single ply so called toilet paper. I WILL have the good stuff at all costs.

Oh god, I can't believe I forgot that stuff.

John Wayne Toilet Paper - Rough, Tough, and don't take shit off of anyone.

If I bring home something other than Charmin, I might as well get comfy in the kennel.

I buy some generic stuff, at SOME stores...in some store chains, the generic on most stuff is better than the national brands, and I'll actually look for that first, but most places I go completely brandname, it's just not worth it for the tiny savings.

but PuterTutor's list sounds about right, (except for the canned veggies) and I agree, Ku'u, go for the good diapers every time!

Sometimes I buy stuff in mega bulk from the warehouse clubs... the 200 roll bag of toilet paper, the 50 lbs drum of Tide, enough paper towels to build a couch out of. Its a two- three year supply since I'm just one person. I just can't see myself buying garlic powder and nutmeg by the kilo though.

Yep, we've got Sam's Clubs up here that the wife and I shop at occasionally. Some of that stuff is fine to buy in bulk, the TP, Paper towels and such, but like Unc said, I rarely buy any food products in bulk, unless it's something I know the kids will eat.

Strange, Ku'u. The generic Daipers at Publix™ fit Ted better than anything else. We were having worse issues with Pampers.

WILL SPLURGE ON:

Bread
TP
Paper towels
Paper plates

Pampers are a no-no. They give my baby a red, bumpy butt every time. Poor girly. Ever since that, its Huggies all the way.

...Miracle Whip? That's a no-no too :D We like our Best Foods Mayo here.
product_mayo.gif

Really? Huggies work for us. I'm too scared to try another brand. Oh wait, I lied. The Safeway brand works too.

Luvs is what our kids always used, usually as cheap as the others, but seemed to fit better and fewer rashes. Thankfully I haven't had to buy diapers or forumula for going on 5 years now. :D

LOVED the 'clothlike' Huggies, used nothing else, my guys all got that rash from Pampers, too, I think it's the perfume in them.

Diaper talk is something utterly outside the realm of my personal experience. How in the heck did i make it to 33 without ever having changed a diaper?

:laugh:

We can change that the next time you're over, Unc. With any luck, he'll even provide some solids for ya.

Back