For Cam

AlphaTroll

I was going to post this in the shoutbox, but it just became too long, hope you don't mind that I'm making it a thread instead.

Leslie from the Shoutbox said:
St. John's Wort is not at all a light undertaking...it can have some severe effects on health, especially with regards to the heart.

As far as I know St John's could only affect the heart badly if you have undergone heart surgery or a transplant as it might cause a rejection of the new heart or if you are taking medication for a heart condition.

Cam, St John's should not be taken if you are pregnant or breastfeeding and it may also cause a sensitivity to sunlight and minor weight loss. Obviously when you start taking any sort of medication, be it pharmacuetical or natural you need to consult with a doctor first because there are many factors to take into account such as blood pressure, allergies or even sensitivity to certain products.

Also, it may not be depression as we generally define it, but could be SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) or any number of mood altering problems, which is also why it is important to see a professional before starting any treatment because it is IMO better to treat the cause than the effect in the long run.

But even without the use of pills (or before & during treatment) you can try a few of the following:

Aromatherapy treatment that you can do at home, just add a few drops to your bathwater or make in inhalation blend or massage treatment.

Oils like Bergamot, Cypress, Lemongrass, Rosemary & Sage are said to have an uplifting effect and Chamomile, Geranium, Jasmine, Lavender, Marjoram, Neroli, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood & Ylang Ylang have a soothing effect.

The oils aren't a cure, but may help with fighting mental fatigue, improving sleep. They are usually used as a complimentary treatment.

Inhalation blend for mild depression
4 parts Clary sage essential oil
4 parts Ylang ylang essential oil
3parts Geranium essential oil
2 parts Basil essential oil
1 part Sandalwood essential oil
Mix the above essential oils in an amber glass bottle, Label. Use three to four times daily.

Essential Oil Blend for Depression
Basil
Clary sage
Jasmine
Rose
German chamomile (matricaria recutita)
Mix the oil together. Place it in a bowl of steaming water (2 or 3 drops), or in a bath (5 or 6 drops ), or on the edge of your pillow (1 or 2 drops).

Aromatic Bath for the Blues
For mild bouts of depression

1/4 cup Honey (or almond, canola, soy and safflower)
3 drops Lavender essential oil
3 drops Ylang ylang essential oil
2 drops Basil essential oil
2 drops Geranium essential oil
1 drop Grapefruit essential oil

Mix the essential oils in the honey. Fill the bath tub with warm water and then add the aromatic honey mixture. Stir well using your hands. Soak for 20 to 30 minutes.

Aromatherapy Massage
An aromatherapy massage is one of the best ways you can treat yourself It is pampering and nurturing, in addition to very satisfying. Massage and aromatherapy go hand in hand in treating nervous system ailments such as depression.

Elation Formulation
A concentrated massage oil for mild depression
2 tblsp. sweet almond oil (or vegetable oil)
1 tsp. Wheat germ oil
8 drops Lavender essential oil
8 drops Ylang ylang essential oil
2 drops Basil essential oil
2 drops Geranium essential oil
2 drops Bergamot essential oil

Collect the essential oils in an amber glass bottle. Add the sweet almond oil and wheat germ oil. Shake gently and mix well.

Apply a small amount onto the back of the hands and chest area. Inhale the essences from your hands after application to the skin. Apply two or three times daily.

Meditation & breathing exercises could also help in calming your mind, body & spirit. When you are feeling tense and your mood is low, your breathing probably will be very shallow and constricted. Shallow breathing can invoke an emotional imbalance. Shallow breathing causes an inadequate supply of oxygen in the blood. This can be corrected by two methods.

Exercise 1: To become aware of your breathing pattern

1. Lie on the floor in a corpse pose as described in yoga with your legs straight and slightly apart, your arms at your sides and not touching your body, palms up, and eyes closed.

2. Focus your attention on your breathing.

3. Place your hand on your body where it rises and falls. If this spot is on your chest, your breathing is too shallow and you're not fully using your lungs.

4. Place your hands on your abdomen and feel how it rises and falls. Does your chest move with your abdomen? If not, focus on allowing them to rise and fall together.

5. Concentrate on breathing deeply through your nose, filling your entire lungs so that your chest and abdomen rise and fall with each breath.

6. As you breathe, check your body for tension. If you discover any part of your body under tension, concentrate on those tight or rigid muscles and let the tension flow away.

By practicing this exercise, you will become more aware of your breathing patterns and habits. Once you feel acquainted and in touch with your breathing, do exercise 2 below to learn to deepen your breathing.

Exercise 2: To deepen your breathing

1. Lie down on the floor with your knees bent and feet apart. Your back should be flat on the floor.

2. Mentally examine each part of your body. Is there any tension in any part of your body? If yes, let it flow away.

3. Rest one hand on your stomach and the other hand on your chest.

4. Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose, taking the breath into your stomach so that your hand feels it rise. Your chest should move slightly along with your abdomen.

5. Practice step 4 until it feels comfortable to be breathing air into your abdomen. Once you achieve this comfort, inhale deeply and then blow the air out gently through your mouth.

6. Deep-breathe for five to ten minutes once or twice each day.

After you have become comfortable with this technique, you can practice the exercise for up to twenty minutes at a time, whenever you feel the need to relax and focus your energy.

Exercise 3 A simple exercise to combat depression
A simple, effective technique for combating mild depression is to increase the depth of your breathing. Close your eyes and focus your full attention on breathing deeply. This relaxes your body and will open your mind to experience positive thoughts and creative images. If you increase the depth of your breath so that you are taking no more than four breaths a minute, within five minutes this exercise will change the way you feel. Try it.

Exercise 4: Exercise to let go of your depression and feel energized.
This exercise lets you to get rid of your depression and feel energized.

1. Sit on a chair with your back straight and feet flat on the floor.

2. Reach straight up with both hands.

3. Inhale deeply. Hold your breath and while holding your breath, squeeze your fists so that the muscles in your arms tighten.

4. Exhale slowly. Keeping your arms tense, lower your fists to your chest, as if you're pulling down on rubber bands.

5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 a few times.

6. On the final repetition, cross your arms over your chest. Rest your fingers on the upper outside spots of your chest, with your wrists crossed in the middle.

7. Drop your chin to your chest.

8. Inhale four short breaths without exhaling.

9. Hold your breath.

10. Exhale slowly through your mouth.

Repeat steps 8-10 for a few minutes, concentrating on the rhythm of your breath.

Believe it or not light also has a great effect on our moods - especially the daily availability of sunlight. I think the usual way of light treatment is to shine the light directly into the eye so that it reaches the pinneal gland. Obviously I don't think this should be done at home, but if & when possible you should be out in the sun - exposure can help relieve winter blues and treat other forms of depression; minimize jet lag; shorten abnormally long menstrual cycles and treat psoriasis, eating disorders and some forms of insomnia. It can possibly even help relieve some symptoms of lupus-a serious disease involving the immune system.

The colours with which we surround ourselves also have an influence on our moods - our preferences for certain colours are probably in large due to the way the colour makes us feel. Certain colours have a calming effect on us - such as blues, indigos, violet & greens while vibrant colours like red, orange & yellow have an uplifting effect (as long as you don't ovedrdo it on the colours - it may start irritating you - as always balance is very imprtant).

Cam, in your case it may be a good idea to have some time just for yourself, we all need it at some stage. Try & organise a weekend (or if you can't at least an evening) that you can spend on you. Try the breathing exercises, have a nice warm bath with a few of the arometherapy oils - put a few scented candles around the bath - well use candles all around the house instead of the harsh electric lights. Play some calming music, pamper yourself with a foot massage (it's amazing what touch can do to help your mind & body), manicure, pedicure, facial and so on. Have a good meal (diet also influences stress levels and depression), but try not to have any alcohol or sugars - these only act as temporary mood enhancers but have a negative effect actually. Also avoid caffeine - especially if you have it with sugar, the combination of the two is bad for you & studies have shown that caffeine acts as a depressant (though it does give that instant lift it really isn't good for you).

Eat fresh green vegetables, some fresh fruits, whole cereals and beans well cooked, unroasted seeds, seed sprouts, and soy protein, to supply whole protein to the body. Avoid any processed food, artificial colors, stimulant food, canned foods, smoking, dairy products, meats, eggs, and fish.

Try using tofu or seafood as a protein instead of meat.

A proper, balanced diet could also address any vitamin deficiencies that are also associated with mood disorders (what a shitty word - rather a mood problem) - especially B-vitamins are important for instance a lack of Thiamin (B1) is associated with Korsakoff's psychosis, mental depression, apathy, anxiety, irritability and a lack of Riboflavin (B2) is associated with depression, irritability. A lack of Niacin (B3) in your diet is associated ith apathy, anxiety, depression, hyperirritability, mania, memory deficits, delirium, organic dementia, emotional lability and if you don't not have enough Pyridoxine (B6) depression, irritability, sensitivity to sound could be evident while a shortage of Vitamin B 12 might lead to psychotic states, depression, irritability, confusion, memory loss, hallucinations, delusions, paranoia.
Vitamin C is also important to avoid lassitude, hypochondriasis, depression and hysteria.

But as I've said before - before you start any kind of therapy that include taking pills or supplements of any kind, consult a doctor or healer because it's best to have the problem properly diagnosed before attempting to cure it.

Anyway, I have rambled on for too long now - hope you do feel better soon though hun :hug:

[Aromatherapy treatment that you can do at home, just add a few drops to your bathwater or make in inhalation blend or massage treatment.

Oils like Bergamot, Cypress, Lemongrass, Rosemary & Sage are said to have an uplifting effect and Chamomile, Geranium, Jasmine, Lavender, Marjoram, Neroli, Patchouli, Rose, Sandalwood & Ylang Ylang have a soothing effect. ]

I had Chamomile oil before and I used to burn it at night, it was relaxing for me, used to help me go to sleep....

AlphaTroll said:
Even grannies and dogs?

Older women and bitches? Yeah...sometimes they suck, but you have to treat them nicely first..or get them drunk :)

AT - didn't know that you were into the Health-Foods kick. We should chat up sometimes...I've got skills that I've taken from my sister on how not to fall asleep when the topic of health strays too far, or goes on for too long :) j/k

My sis runs a few health stores and is on the Natural Health Products Directorate of Health Canada:

Hey Cam - talk to my sister..she can pretty much get you anything mentioned by AT above at cost. Better yet...call me and I'll schedule a back-rub :)

OOOOKKAAAYYYYY!!!! Wow Thought I was on the bus....dammmm getting ready to tell you all to CHILL....lol but I too like natural vitamins and herbs, scents. Got Mare hooked on Ginger Root for her stomache.

Professur said:
Bish, you haven't set up a website for Foz yet?

It's Fuz...as in Fuzzy :)

The layout's done and the flash is almost done, but I'm awaiting the text to finalize it. I have them about 30 questions to answer so that the info could go on the site (Like..What is your Story of Origin?) etc... the owner ain't replying...so I'm not budging. I can't start work until the questions come in and I won't start work until the cash does.

She's my sister...but he ain't :)

I thought she'd left Jon to work for herself??

and I wasn't gonna use her true nick online. You know my opinions on that.

Professur said:
I thought she'd left Jon to work for herself??

and I wasn't gonna use her true nick online. You know my opinions on that.

Privacy privacy privacy!!! She's never gonna step on OTC, never meat anyone here...it's a nickname, not a true name...and what does it hurt?

In either case...she still works for John, though she's more on a aside-basis.

cautionary tale....

Herb ineffective as anti-depressant

St John's Wort is used as a herbal remedy

The popular herbal supplement, St John's wort, is an ineffective treatment for depression, a major study has found.

The use of herb has grown massively in recent years as more people opt for so-called natural medicines.

Researchers have conducted the largest ever clinical trial into the impact of the herb on major depression - a moderately severe form of the condition.

The researchers, from Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina, found it had no more impact than a dummy medicine.

Dr Jonathan Davidson, director of the Anxiety and Traumatic Stress Program at Duke, said: "Major depression is treatable. But this research suggests that major depression of at least moderate severity should not be treated with St. John's wort.

Danger

"Rather than self-medicate with an over-the-counter medication or supplement, patients are strongly advised to consult an appropriate healthcare provider to assess the best treatment for a depressive episode."

Fellow researcher Dr Robert Califf stressed that taking herbal remedies was potentially fraught with danger.

He said: "As long as these types of products remain available to the public without the protection of adequate, controlled and unbiased studies, taking them is like playing Russian roulette with your health."

Previous research have suggested that St John's wort may have a positive impact on depression.

But the Duke researchers said that these studies may not have clearly defined which types of depression responded well.

Other studies have shown that the herb can interact with other medications such as those to treat HIV, certain cardiac conditions and even those that keep the body from rejecting transplanted organs.

Cancer effect

Research published this week showed that St John's wort can also interfere with the ability of cancer drugs to fight and kill tumours.

The latest study involved 340 volunteers, who either given St John's wort, a recognised anti-depressant drug or a dummy medication.

Dr Califf said: "Just because St. John's wort was found to be ineffective for this type of depression does not mean it is harmless to the body.

"There are only two kinds of therapies - those that work and those that don't work.

"Until there is a reliable compound made from St John's wort that has demonstrated efficacy for treating depression, it is very important that people think twice about taking this drug."

Professor Philip Cowen, of Warneford Hospital, University of Oxford, and a member of the British Association for Psychopharmacology, said the study confirmed the prevailing view among UK doctors.

He told BBC News Online that doctors' common view was St John's wort was an ineffective treatment for depression of any severity.

Questions remain

But he said: "Whether the herb might work in people with milder depressions, many of whom do not present for medical treatment, remains an open question."

Professor Cowen said there were also doubts about whether the study had been particularly sensitive in detecting the antidepressant effects of treatment.

He said: "Perhaps the main message is that if people with depression are not helped by St John's Wort they should not give up on treatment but seek help from their doctor because other more effective therapies are available."

The Council for Responsible Nutrition, the trade association for manufacturers of dietary supplements in the US, dismissed the findings as "misdirected and inconsequential".

It accused the researchers of ignoring at least 30 other studies which have shown St John's Wort to be effective.

The study appears in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1917359.stm

Thank you so much AT! I truly and sincerely appreciate the info and the effort! Mare and BoP too :)

I'm just going through one of those really rough patches life throws at us sometimes. It hasn't been a cake-walk in the last 2 or so years, but recently I encountered the proverbial straw placed squarely on the proverbial camel's (Camelyn's? :) ) back. I just want to know what my options are, what is out there, in case I feel that I get into a place I have to get out of. More for my kids than for myself. They've been through a lot themselves, and deserve to have a mom who is able to be there for them, no matter what. So far I'm holding my own. It's all a matter of finding a light at the end of the tunnel, then you just have to keep slogging towards it :)

Enough Camelyn life angst for one night! Just a big thanks to you guys for your input and just plain giving a poop :D. :hug:

Back