For our Hawai'i folk: SPAM??!!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Say it ain't so...say it's all just more of the corporate machine going about its nasty work...

from yahoo.com

HONOLULU - For many Americans, spam is a four-letter word for unwanted e-mail. In Hawaii, Spam is a beloved comfort food, with cans of the gelatinous pork bricks found in virtually every cupboard.

Hoping to cash in on Hawaii's love affair with the pinkish meat product, Burger King Corp. last month began offering Spam for breakfast — going head-to-head with rival McDonald's Corp., which has been featuring Spam in the islands for years.

Burger King is offering the Spam Platter — two slices of Spam nestled between white rice and scrambled eggs. The fast-food giant also offers the Croissanwich or Biscuit Sandwich with Spam.

Denise Yamauchi, Burger King managing director in Hawaii, said sales have been "very good and very promising."

"It's so popular with the locals, we wanted to cater to them," she said.

Putting Spam on the menu, alongside more traditional items such as the Whopper, has been in the works for about a year, and Burger King's corporate headquarters finally signed off on the idea.

"It's something that was a little unique and a little different for them, so it was a bit of a hard sell to bring to Hawaii," Yamauchi said. "But they finally realized it is a unique flavor and something the locals really like."

At a Burger King near downtown Honolulu, where a poster in the window proudly advertises "Spam in the A.M.," the Spam Platter was selling for $3.49. The nearly identical Spam, Eggs and Rice plate across the street at McDonald's was $3.39.

Melanie Okazaki, marketing manager for McDonald's Restaurants of Hawaii, said Spam has been offered at the chain's 75 island restaurants since 2002.

"In Hawaii, it is a very popular menu item and we will continue to offer it to our customers," she said.

Burger King's latest offering is counter to the chain's push to offer healthier fare, including salads and the meatless BK Veggie Burger. But no one can deny Hawaii's appetite for Spam.

Despite being one of the least-populated states, Hawaii leads the nation in consumption of the Hormel Foods Corp. product. It's been a hit ever since World War II. Isle residents consume more than 5 million pounds of Spam a year, an average of about six cans for every man, woman and child.

Spam "musubi" — a slice of Spam atop a block of rice and wrapped in seaweed — is an island favorite sold at nearly every convenience store, including 7-Eleven. Spam fried rice is a local classic.

There are also more varieties of Spam sold in Hawaii than anywhere else. There's Spam Garlic, Spam Bacon, Spam with Cheese, Spam with Tabasco, Spam Turkey and Spam Lite, which featured less sodium and less fat.

"We're pleased to see more and more restaurants adding it to their menu, providing Hawaiians additional opportunities to experience the savory, salty-sweet taste they love," said Dan Goldman, Spam's product manager.

6 cans of spam a person? That isn't a lot..I eat that much atleast.

6 cans of spam a person? That isn't a lot..I eat that much atleast.

Maybe they meant "in one sitting". :laugh:

My father was a fighter pilot in WWII. One time the aircraft carrier ran out of food because the supply ships couldn't get to them. All they had left was - you guessed it - Spam. It was a couple of weeks before the supply ship reached them. When Dad returned from the war he made my Ma promise she would never, ever bring a can of Spam into the house.

This story is old. Why did the press decide to bring it out again? Was there an anniversary or something?

Mmmmmm spam.
My spam sandwich is. two slices cut 1\4" thick, dipped in a egg wash, rolled in breadcrumbs and fried golden brown in butter. between two pieces of toast with tomato.

Spam is the main ingredient in one of my favorite dishes...which is a Hawaiian dish! Phonetically spelled Moo-sue-bee.

Spam is the main ingredient in one of my favorite dishes...which is a Hawaiian dish! Phonetically spelled Moo-sue-bee.

Apparently this dish was mentioned in the article but I was pre-coffee when I posted this....

it does rock with egg ... but i've never tried avo!! i'm gonna go out and find me some avo so i can try!!

*takes a bow* you can totally thank me for teaching Rob how to make musubis hehehehe

Hawai'i even has a warehouse stash of SPAM, just in case there are problems with the barge or a dock strike or something. Personally, I only buy it if I have to make a bunch of musubi ... Tonks, you should try frying it in soy sauce and a bit of sugar (it'll kill Rob but you'll love it LOL) then add it to your musubi... sprinkle a bit of furikake on the rice before rolling the nori .. yum!

Y'know... I actually have furikake stashed away in the cupboard somewhere. I'm probably only one of 10 people in the Atlanta area to normally keep it around.

Y'know... I actually have furikake stashed away in the cupboard somewhere. I'm probably only one of 10 people in the Atlanta area to normally keep it around.

how much is it out there? I nearly died when I saw how expensive the nori was ..

Furikake is obscene if you find it in the hoity-toity farmers market type places; something like $5 a jar (aka a few ounces)

If you take the time to got to the local Chinatown 10 miles down the road its rather cheap ($2) ...not to mention 50 times the selection.

Not to mention all the other goodies I get to pick up when we go!...which reminds me that I am out of steamed bun.

Back