For the California crew

the state of California looks to require that residents install remotely monitored temperature controls in their homes next year.

All your thermostats are belong to Ahhhhnold?

What say we cede a little more control of our daily lives to the government? All in favor say "Baaaaaa"...

thank god for Canada - land of the free.

we should build a fence before the Americans try to come for our full flush toilets, and full flow shower heads, and out thermostats

Dude, you know better than that. These things always follow the same path. Calif. Washington, BC, Toronto.

lmao, I love kaliforniastan. I admit I haven't heard of this until now. Who pays for it? (besides me)

I know I'm going to completely ignore it.

Damn, now I'm worried, ...my house has some *extra wiring added to it that any inspector prolly wouldn't approve of (a lot it). Even though it exceeds any codes, a few rules have been circumvented. (ie, a connected switchable secondary power system to the generator and/or welder)

First I've heard of it, too. But it's amazing what happens when the NIMBYists and the tree huggers won't let anyone build a new power plant and the utility companies get paranoid, huh?

The lawn parking thing isn't really different from ordinances all over the nation, anyway. It's just an expedited way of enforcing it. But A lot of cities won't let people park on the lawn. I'm guessing even a lot of cities in Tennessee. It's a city thing in general, not a California thing. The story is simply phrased to make it sound like it's something new and exciting. It's really not.

Good thing I live in Texas. I don't have ANYTHING paved on my property that could be deemed a parking area. I'd be up shit creek.

I doubt the thermostat bill would pass.

Not that it would affect me since there's no thermostat on my wall mounted heater. I only use it a couple times a year anyway.

It doesn't affect anyone that doesn't install a new furnace or upgrade their old ones. I have a wall heater too but it has a thermostat on the wall... it's a gas heater though. I'd wonder how much energy in the summer (I have window-unit air conditioning and a swamp cooler in the living room) would be saved by me having one of those thermostats. Probably none.

I tried to install a Hunter digital thermostat, but it was a single stage, and I need a double.
I had to switch it back...until I get back out to Lowes.

me either ATM, but they are trying to expand all the time. :(

I think all the cities around here have ordnances "I" wouldn't want to have.
I fight just to keep certain zoning available all I can.

Annexation is the least of my worries. I feel 99% confident in saying that I could live to be 100 right here and never be annexed.

There's too many miles between me and the city limit for one thing. There's the snotty-assed attitude of our "urbanites" for another. There's the Nolachuckey River for a third. Seems that is the dividing line between the town idiots and the country idiots. They don't want nothing to do with us, and the feeling is more than mutual. And the ongoing conception of "that part of the county" is the most powerful. I'd estimate at least half of the citizens are honestly afraid to be back here after dark. Oh, they drive past the house on pretty Saturdays and Sundays all the time...looking at the mountains, taking in the views, leisurely ambling about in their minivans and little convertible go-devil cars. Gets about dusk though...and watch 'em beat a path! Bats out of hell I tell ya. Guess they hear banjo music. There's a reputation about this little corner of God's country among the city folk. I further it every chance I get...I don't want 'em back here either, so why not keep 'em scared shitless? I bought this place to get the hell away from traffic, and congestion, and McDonald's on every corner. So they don't want us and we don't want them. Win-win at its finest.

Annexation is the least of my worries. I feel 99% confident in saying that I could live to be 100 right here and never be annexed.

There's too many miles between me and the city limit for one thing. There's the snotty-assed attitude of our "urbanites" for another. There's the Nolachuckey River for a third. Seems that is the dividing line between the town idiots and the country idiots. They don't want nothing to do with us, and the feeling is more than mutual. And the ongoing conception of "that part of the county" is the most powerful. I'd estimate at least half of the citizens are honestly afraid to be back here after dark. Oh, they drive past the house on pretty Saturdays and Sundays all the time...looking at the mountains, taking in the views, leisurely ambling about in their minivans and little convertible go-devil cars. Gets about dusk though...and watch 'em beat a path! Bats out of hell I tell ya. Guess they hear banjo music. There's a reputation about this little corner of God's country among the city folk. I further it every chance I get...I don't want 'em back here either, so why not keep 'em scared shitless? I bought this place to get the hell away from traffic, and congestion, and McDonald's on every corner. So they don't want us and we don't want them. Win-win at its finest.

So I can't retire there? *poke* ;)

Back