For the English out there ...

nalani

I was watching "Snatch" with the documentary on (brilliant movie, directed by Guy Ritchie, for those of you who haven't seen it ... go rent it ... you'll laugh your asses off!) .. anyway, I noticed that every other word they say is "phuck" ... is that, like, normal of the English?

Also, I noticed that in many English movies I watch, many begin their sentences with "right" ... is that normal too?

Just curious ... England Rocks :headbang:

Well, i usually end my sentences with," yea?" and sometimes i do catch myself saying "right" at the beginning as well :retard: I loved snatch, see lock stock and two smoking barrels and sexy beast as well if you haven't. About the fuck thing, well depends on the crowd, if i'm with my normal crew from tottenham, yep, pretty much fuck this and fuck that :D with parents, the odd word now and then lol, but generally as a staple in my language, nah. But i guess in certain parts of London it is a normal word, kinda like our version of the redneck :p I've been known to sound irish when drunk, as Leslie :laugh:

LOL LS&2SB was hilphreakinglarious ... English humor is a bit different ... but I just love it ... even the subtle humor of Jane Austen ... her stuff cracks me up sometimes ...

I saw snatch before lock stock, its the movie that sold me onto the genre of brit comedy, i always found it bland, these movies portray a more modern outlook into REAL MODERN british life.

We end sentences with "yeah?" too. My cousin, born and raised in Arizona, asked me why people in Hawai'i end all their sentences with a questions :lol:

Justintime said:
see lock stock and two smoking barrels
Saw that one on BBC America. I second Justin's opinion, it was great.
Leslie said:
and yet he still mocks me for saying eh?
Of course he does, Leslie. What kind of a sad, sad world would we live in if we couldn't make merciless fun of those who are different from us.:D

well, actually if i was speaking english regularly i'd also say something like "eh?" or "huh?" at the end of some sentences, mainly to express something like "what do you have to say about it?"

Do post-mordern English folk say stuff like, "hey man", or "no way man"? (completely gender-neutral 'acourse)

Where I'm from, some say, (pronounced; BRAzil), rather than the yankees who like to say, "braZIL".

What do you say, in the UK? (I was speakin' of a town in Southern Indiana that was named after the country of Brazil):)

Even though I'm geograghically-challenged, I still 'ow to mis-pronounciate cities, named after unknown countries.............:D

ris said:
brarzil

hey man is usually for the hippy generation, we normally use 'mate'

What is the origin of 'mate'?

Makes me think of Austrailia, folk from the same hometown, etc.

City folk 'ere, from inner-city neighborhoods, refer to one another as "homie".

Out in the country, we jus' say, "howdy neighbor".

Did the English later adopt the term 'mate', or was it borrowed from y'all??(

Back