For those who say "We should be more like Europe"

If citizens insist on behaving like idiots in a manner that can get other citizens killed, they might as well stay at home.

A law against using cell phones while driving has nothing to do with pc, and everything to do with traffic safety.

A law against using cell phones while driving has nothing to do with pc, and everything to do with traffic safety.

Yep. Various studies show that driving while talking on your cell phone (even hends free) is a similar impairment to driving drunk and yet people who would and do howl about drunk drivers drive around all day carrying on mostly meaningless, inane conversations simply due to their inability to shut up.

When you're driving you are operating a piece of heavy equipment. Hang the fuck up and pay attention to the task at hand. If the conversation is that important, delaying your arrival at your next destintation by a few moments by pulling to the side of the road and stopping should hardly be a concern, should it?

How long before people are so afraid of leaving their homes for fear of being charged with some PC crime, or other infraction, that they fear to venture forth at all? That's what happens when you are a subject instead of a citizen.

yes i'm utterly petrified already. because i could end up in jail just for being a white heterosexual male.

and then they're gonna take away our guns.

so many things to worry about.

:microwav:

Britain already has double jeopardy for crimes committed or not. The state can appeal your not guilty jury verdict and try you as many times as necessary until they get you. What a fun place.

Their firearms laws are the cause of the recent violence there. The populace is disarmed so the criminals have all of the firearms. I seem to remember a bumper sticker about that ...

Source: Punch Magazine
Published: May 3-16, 2000 Author: Peter Woolrich
Posted on 05/08/2000 12:23:46 PDT by Dexter Wang

Britain's Tough Gun Control Laws Termed Total Failure
Land Of Hope And Gunrunning
By Peter Woolrich

Four years after the Dunblane massacre, Britain's tighter gun laws have failed completely. Now there is a race against time to stop the UK from becoming as trigger-happy as the US.

[Officers are being confronted by youngsters on mountain bikes with automatic weapons]

Britain's gun control laws, introduced after the Dunblane massacre in 1996, have proven to be a disaster. There are now an estimated three million illegal firearms in the UK, perhaps double the number of four years ago, and the only effect the knee-jerk political reaction that led to the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 has had is to shut down legitimate gun clubs.

Fears that Britain is on the way to adopting a US-style gun culture are now a reality "We look to Los Angeles for the language we use," Morrissey once sang, but it was never envisaged that "drive-by shooting" and "Big Mac" (the Mac-10 sub-machine gun, which fires 20 rounds a second) would become as much a part of the vocabulary of street-wise teenagers in Merseyside, Glasgow and London as hamburger and fries.

Some believe the three million figure, collated by Home Affairs Committee researchers working on a recent parliamentary report into the gun trade. Either way, vast stockpiles of weapons have fuelled a spate of shootings in Britain's cities, including Manchester where a 17-year-old was recently killed.

<more>

SOURCE

You cannot go nearly anywhere that you are not on a camera feed to the authorities; yet all of this video monitoring has done nothing to cut the crime rate. What is has done is to move the criminals to new digs and new victims.

Under the anti-terrorism laws a person may be picked up off the street and held for up to three months without ever being charged with a crime. What would you lose if you were to be detained for three months -- your job; your home; your car; your credit rating?

Oh, and those new "hate speech" laws?

Only one-third of respondents in a new survey of British adults believe free speech exists in their country, and only one in five believe that they can safely voice their opinion on a sensitive issue.

The poll by YouGov, an Internet market research firm, was conducted on behalf of www.friction.tv, a video-based forum for political debate.

While 98 percent of respondents said they believed in the right to free speech, only half said they had ever spoken out on a sensitive issue.

“We supposedly live in a truly democratic society where freedom of speech is a fundamental right enjoyed by everyone,” friction.tv Chief Marketing Officer Andy West said in a press release. “However these survey results have shown rather powerfully that most adults in the U.K. feel that this is not the case.”

West added, “We live in such a politically correct society that people don’t know what they can and can’t say anymore and there is a constant fear that if you go against the grain, you’ll be vilified by your peers.”

SOURCE

I have yet to speak of the "anti-social behaviour" laws. Under those laws you can be arrested for just about anything that rubs someone else the wrong way. Don't even say that you carry your umbrella as a foil against attack by street thugs. YOU will be jailed for carrying an "offensive weapon".

Attack a burglar in your own home? You will be charged with a crime and jailed just like Tony Martin who, after his release from prison was required to post his property that he is a danger to criminals.

Sometimes a lucid judge stands against the laws, though:

We wouldn't have to shoot burglars if the law did its job

The modern justice system has tilted too sharply in favour of the criminals

Max Hastings
Saturday October 30, 2004
The Guardian

The rural middle class seldom enthuses about the law courts these days, for they are perceived as absurdly indulgent to hooligans, asylum seekers, murderers and malefactors of all kinds. Yet a mighty cheer went up on Tuesday, following the conviction of a career burglar named John Rae, who was jailed for seven years for a long series of offences.
The cause of the applause was that Judge Andrew Hamilton endorsed the action of a 73-year-old Derbyshire farmer, Kenneth Faulkner, who shot Rae in the leg during an attempted break-in, after an earlier burglary in which some of his guns had been stolen. "Mr Faulkner believed that he was being targeted," said the judge, "and he was entirely right. He wrongly believed that the burglars had come back armed with those guns that had been stolen. Very sensibly he took out his own shotgun. No one could criticise him for what he did."

The judge went on to deplore the fact that the Crown Prosecution Service considered charges of assault against the farmer, which were dropped only shortly before Rae's trial. Here at last, in the minds of many country people, was a sensible judicial view about a man's right to protect himself.
The police, however, seemed thoroughly alarmed by the judge's comments. No doubt envisaging a barrage of gunfire against suspected intruders, the Association of Chief Police Officers issued a statement urging householders not to resist. Instead, said Acpo, they should lock themselves into a room and dial 999: "You should not approach the intruder. If the intruder steals some of your property, that's far better than someone being killed."

These words prompted a jeer of derision in many a village pub. The police have a rotten record of effective intervention at scenes of rural crime. The shortcomings of law enforcement were highlighted the very next day, when a fiasco was reported in the press. A farmer who caught and successfully detained two intruders stealing tractor diesel fuel from his tank in the presence of witnesses was told that the thieves would not be prosecuted "for lack of evidence". Critics demand: how can the police with straight faces urge householders to rely on the law, when the law is an ass?

<more>

SOURCE

In the meantime, the criminals are given the support from the government to sue you for defending yourself against them.

Legal aid for burglar shot by Tony Martin
July 6: One of the burglars shot by the Norfolk farmer Tony Martin during a break-in at his house has been granted legal aid to sue the farmer for the injuries he sustained.

As you have possibly gathered by my handle, my last name is Peel. Yes, the same Peel as formed the Bobbies in England. Sir Robert is a distant relative.

Read his "Nine Principles of policing" and then tell me that those principles are being adhered to in today's society.

PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO PRINCIPLES TWO THROUGH FIVE, AND SEVEN.

The police in England have lost those principles and the public stands in opposition to many of their actions.

How long before people are so afraid of leaving their homes for fear of being charged with some PC crime, or other infraction, that they fear to venture forth at all?

OMFG!

If I can't drive around town with a cell phone in my ear or a bottle of vodka in my belly I refuse to get off my couch! :eek3:

Still bitter about being wrong so many times in the other thread?

Of course you and your son were the only ones that had other people paying their bills.

Saw a truck on the way to work that said "Tree of Life" down the side in big letters. I'm probably too old to make the change though. :D

I don't know about the death penalty for outstanding parking tickets though.

Proves irresponsibility...;)

Back