free resizing partition utility??

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I got my new laptop, and i'd like to put linux in it, but i'm also too lazy to reformat it and do a fresh install.

Do you know of a free utility to resize NTFS partitions??

the only thing i can think of that does ntfs non-destructively is partition magic, and that's definitely not free.

Luis G said:
I got my new laptop, and i'd like to put linux in it, but i'm also too lazy to reformat it and do a fresh install.

Do you know of a free utility to resize NTFS partitions??
I don't think it's free, but what about WinLinux? No need to partition at all. Note that I've never used it and know nothing about how it works, I've just heard about it.

tommyj27, first utility I thought of was pm, but when i searched i found it wasn't free, sucks isn't it?

chcr, I like pure linux running on their appropiate fs, it makes things easier in the end.

I'll have to reformat the thing i guess, I hope the rescue disks give me an option to select partition sizes or at least to choose the partition to which it will install the software :shrug:

Thanks anyway guys.

ARGGGGG...I can't install Linux...

Tried mdk9, it freezes in the "checking partitions on hda".
Tried rh8, did the same.
Tried rh9, freezes when loading the 1394 driver.
Tried debian, installs fine but, X won't work :(

Finally, tried mdk8 and it installs fine, but now i no longer see another partition in my drive, it's there but windows can not see it...

*downloading mdk9.2 in hopes of better luck*

Try FreeBSD, a lot of people are talking about how good it is.

I don't know for myself as I've never touched Linux, but for my up and coming project, I may just build a linux box.

I better stay far far away from bsd for this puter, if i can't install the "easy ones" there's no way i can install the "hard ones", or at least to have some functionality.

Well, mdk9.2 froze when loading the 1394 driver :mad: , if I use the linux noauto it will install fine (it is installing right now in fact), but i'll have to manually install all of my hardware after the install is done :(

Back