Game crashing to desktop in XP

Aunty Em

I have a friend who's having problems with a game in XP... Stronghold Crusader.

When he tries to play the game it dumps him back onto the desktop. We have updated directx and updated the ATI Catalyst driver to 3.7 and also updated the game to v1.1, but it still won't work.

The only other thing I can think of is to emulate 98 in XP to play the game, but I don't know how to do this. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
R click on the .exe of the game, properties. compatibility tab.

Another sometimes useful option is slowing down the hardware acceleration for the sound...CP/sounds/speaker settings/advanced

Aunty Em

I also read that slowing down the video acceleration may work... how would he do that?

I don't have XP.

AnomalousEntity

Aunty Em said:
I also read that slowing down the video acceleration may work... how would he do that?

I don't have XP.

control panel/sound speech and audio devices/sounds and audio devices/Click advanced tab/click pereformance tab/adjust the slider bars!

Try checking out the online help faq for the publisher of the games website.

If winxp is supported then there should be a fix some where.

Also try one of the gaming discussion boards on a hardware site like anandtech or hardware central for better input.

I had to use the compatibility mode to get red alert 2 to run and multiplayer wont work unless I limit the resolution to 640x480!