Gangs of New York

Jeslek

Banned
sp_names.gif

sp_logo.jpg

Movie: http://www.gangsofnewyork.com/

The film starts in 1846 and ends in 1863 with the draft riots. The setting is New York's five points, the most violent part of the world at the time. The story is risen out of the conflicts between the white Anglo-Saxon "natives" and the Irish immigrants coming into the five points. One boy needs to avenge the death of his father...

Release date: December 20, 2002

Does anyone plan on seeing this movie? I think its going to rock! :silly:

Jerrek said:
Does anyone plan on seeing this movie? I think its going to rock! :silly:

Nah. Dicaprio is such a lousy actor, he's painful to watch. Everyone, including me, thought he was going to be great because he did such a good job as Arnie in What's Eating Gilbert Grape?. What no one considered was that any teenage boy could do just as good a job of acting retarded. :retard: In everything I've seen him in since he's been totally bland and uninspired.

agreed with ards...not even going to waist my money on that...will see what others think and i might rent it then, some day

unclehobart said:
I heard it was the most violent moive ever made.

Nah. The most violent movie ever made, aside from the Faces of Death trash is A Clockwork Orange...

A Clockwork Orange rates as disturbing and violent, yes.. but certainly not the most violent movie ever made. I think Rocky IV or any Bruce Lee movie has more violence.

Your joking, right? Romero movies, while violent, tend to stay on the 'comic' violence end of the spectrum...A Clockwork Orange is in a realm all it's own. Even Bruce Lee movies are not as violent, per se, as A Clockwork Orange. I have three out of the collection on DVD, so I know how violent Bruce can be, and he pales next to 'Little Alex'.

violence is violence.
in dawn of the dead, there was a scene where a zombie gets the top of his head lopped off by a helicoter blade. most of the audience (males 18-25) were laughing and hollering because the scene was so gratuitous and over the top. just because it was so over the top doesn't make the scene any less violent IMO.

Spot said:
violence is violence.
in dawn of the dead, there was a scene where a zombie gets the top of his head lopped off by a helicoter blade. most of the audience (males 18-25) were laughing and hollering because the scene was so gratuitous and over the top. just because it was so over the top doesn't make the scene any less violent IMO.

In a Charles Bronson movie, a guy get's hamburgered by an airplane propeller...There's violence, and then there's violence. None of Romero's movies is really as violent as A Clockwork Orange...and I've seen them all. ;)

I think its only the gratuitous violence that bothers me. When I think of movies like 'Saving Private Ryan" or even 'Little Big Man', I can't deny their violence. But it is in a real sense and has reason to be there... So it gets absorbed by the movie. Gratuitous violence, on the other hand, sticks out like a sore thumb and never finds a reason to be there. It just hangs out like a seperate thought. An ugly thought...

What?

A Clockwork Orange is no where near the most violent movie ever made. Jeez, there are so many quiet bits in that movie. Take any war film, or kung fu film - both of which are actually based on violence, and you'll get more of it. A Clockwork Orange was tame compared to many other movies, and I'm not even talking about obscure ones.
Even near the beginning of Lock, Stock you have Vinnie Jones ramming a car door against someone's head repeatedly until he's dead. American History X - a guy being killed by having his jaw split in half on the sidewalk. etc etc etc
Plus there's a distinct lack of blood and gore in A Clockwork Orange. Look at any hard horror movie and you'll get more. The Fly II, when that elevator lands on that guy's head and his brains spurt across the floor.

I think people forget how much violence many movies have and only remember the ones that were controversial for one reason or another. The fact that Clockwork Orange was notorious makes people immediately think of it all the time, so it's reputation preceeds it. Supported by the fact that when I watched it, it was no way near as sick/violent as I had been led to believe. Just brilliant. :)

Squiggy said:
Anything Tarrentino...His are like "lets add a few lines to the violence and call it a movie"

I have to majorly disagree, sorry. The Pulp Fiction script is one of the best scripts there has ever been, imho. SO much more than 'a few lines'. The story lines he works around eachother... The fact that some parts of the dialogue just seem pointless is the whole genius of it.
Most films just try to create scripts that only serve to further the plot in some way, and that's what makes them unoriginal and unconvincing. In real life people talk about crap, and meaningless stuff that only concerns themselves. Like Vince and Jules talking about burgers in the car, and about animals in the cafe. It's one of the most well-crafted scripts I've ever heard.

Back