gas prices

HeXp£Øi±

I don't understand how gas can be $2.10 in Califirnia and $1.70 In Alaska. Normally we're 10-20% more expensive. We sell all our oil to Japan so it's not because the fuel is local.

unclehobart

California has about a zillion different formulations for gasolione to cover the regulations of every little tin star community dictatorship there is. Its a right pain in the butt for the manufacturers to start and stop the run process for such small batches.. and storing the fuel and transporting it godawful distances from other states most of the time. If they would just streamline it, prices would ease greatly.

dmm

unclehobart said:
If they would just streamline it, prices would ease greatly.

Great unclehobart. Next you will be wanting them to build enough power plant to actually cover their needs :D

Dave

madrin

Hex, I'm paying 1.79 a gallon here on the central coast, for regular unleaded...

...I think unclehobart is right though about streamlining...and efficiency in general. Example: 2 miles from where I live is a medium size cracking plant...that gasoline goes to the LA region, and the gasoline that we get HERE comes from around the Bakersfield area...

same company, same grades...but we send local gasoline 5 1/2 hours south...using whatever resources that takes...and we then truck up gas from 4 hours southeast...using whatever resources that takes.,...

...now, I'll grant you that I'm neither a petrochemical engineer nor an Oil company executive....

But I bet there's just a tiny little bit of waste in this arrangement...

MADrin