Gateway buys eMachines

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
:eek:

Gateway shifts focus again, buys budget-PC eMachines
By Bob Keefe, Palm Beach Post-Cox News Service
Saturday, January 31, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- Gateway Inc., which for two years has been trying push beyond the traditional computer industry, is charging headlong back into it.

The struggling computer maker said Friday it will buy budget PC company eMachines Inc. in a cash and stock deal valued at about $235 million.

PalmBeachPost

*wonders if she can trade in her old hunka junk emachine for something...something that works well....

tonks said:
*wonders if she can trade in her old hunka junk emachine for something...something that works well....

You know, I just converted a 300mhz e-machine to a 750mhz Cyrix machine with 128MB of RAM for 70 bucks.

chcr said:
You know, I just converted a 300mhz e-machine to a 750mhz Cyrix machine with 128MB of RAM for 70 bucks.
apparently, i need a new mobo in order to have this thing perform any more...it's not recognizing but a fifth of the RAM i have in it :shrug:

tonks said:
apparently, i need a new mobo in order to have this thing perform any more...it's not recognizing but a fifth of the RAM i have in it :shrug:

m787clr.jpg

Link

This is what I used, I didn't have RAM for it (the old one used SIMMs) so I had to buy that too.

What are your current specs.

Whats the model number, tonks? We can look it up by just using that.

Emachines aren't what they used to be. Whoever turned the company around deserved all the financial compensation he got--and then some. Hope Gateway doesn't ruin it.

Mirlyn said:
Whats the model number, tonks? We can look it up by just using that.

Emachines aren't what they used to be. Whoever turned the company around deserved all the financial compensation he got--and then some. Hope Gateway doesn't ruin it.
um...i sorta covered that up...it's like 333c? i think...something like that :blush:

Download Aria 32 and it will give you a pretty good system inventory. Question: do you have a Windows 98 CD or a recovery CD?

didn't know there was such a thing, is it one of those low voltage c3 chips?

<on topic>
it's great to see so much consolidation in the crappy computer sector. it's fewer companies i have to tell people to avoid.

Hell, I send everybody I know to eMachines. That way when they tell me it ain't working I tell 'em to go to Wally World & buy another one.

i'd rather recommend something that is going to last more than 6mo. inevitably i end up being the go-to guy for computer problems (a label i'm desperately trying to escape).

I'm also the "call (Gonz) he can fix it" guy. Actually of teh 3 emachines I've recommended for the computer illiterate, they are all going strong (slow as hell but still moving)

tommyj27 said:
didn't know there was such a thing, is it one of those low voltage c3 chips?

Yep, it's a pretty good cheap upgrade. As long as you have an ATX power supply, you can pretty much put it in anything.

Gonz said:
Hell, I send everybody I know to eMachines. That way when they tell me it ain't working I tell 'em to go to Wally World & buy another one.
Actually, the new ones are very nice. Name brand internals. Most of the "id" series was shit. Total shit. 70w power supplies, cheapo modems, no-name motherboards, they all failed within a year. They got a baaaad rap because of this. However, a year ago or so they were bought out or something (can't remember exactly what) and then they got better. Standard components, very few cut corners. Now they are much better than any HP/Compaq out there; now you can use standard parts, no more proprietary power supplies. Best of all, they give you restore CDs. Sony, HP, etc make you burn your own or restore from a partition on the hard drive.

Back