gf, look inside

Wow man, I didn't know you had orchids! That Phal is beautiful. And the big white Dendrobium must be pretty old! I'm surprised they both like it where they are because Dens like cool nights in order to flower and Phals don't like to get too cold.

Is the purple Phal new? Are these yours, or someone elses? I hope you know the basics of orchid care, although they look great as it is. :)

My sister takes care of them. I don't know how old they are.

Before they were inside the house and she moved them at a certain hour, but they didn't like it :confuse3:

Ever since they were put and left outside they started to become more and more beautiful, even to bloom that beautiful.

I don't know much about orchids other than they are extremely fragile plants. But here's what I know about that particular spot:
- They have airflow and some drops of water from the sky when it rains.
- They get light but no direct sunlight, there's a roof about 1m long right above them, so all the light they get is reflected from the wall that's just in front of the house or from the floor.
- Highest temperature is around 33ºC and lowest should be 6-7ºC.

hey greenie .. if you and Rusty come here for your honeymoon, then you can go to Akatsuka Orchid Gardens . It's only about 20 minutes from where I live. I took my cousin from Texas there and she's an avid orchid lover .. we ended up staying for a few hours :D

I bought one of what looks like that same purple variety for my Mom last year because i thought they were cool. It just finished blooming, but for the last five months or so it's had 2-4 awesome blooms at a time.

Luis G said:
- They have airflow and some drops of water from the sky when it rains.
- They get light but no direct sunlight, there's a roof about 1m long right above them, so all the light they get is reflected from the wall that's just in front of the house or from the floor.
- Highest temperature is around 33ºC and lowest should be 6-7ºC.
I'm no one to argue with what works, so it sounds and looks like they're doing just fine! She would only have to worry about bugs, there are tons of them that love to feast on orchids.

Orchids aren't really all that bad once you know what they want. Phals are said to be the easiest and that's probably true, although they're not "easy" if you're growing indoors. Dens tend to like cooler temps so it loves those cool nights but it probably suffers a bit in the heat.

Nalani, that's something I've really wanted to do for a long time, visit an orchid grower in Hawaii. I've actually bought a few from a company called Exotic Orchids of Maui and some plumeria from a Hawaiian grower also. You guys have the best environment for them, that's for sure.

Tommy, that's one of the things that draws people to buy the Phals, that they bloom for so long. You see them everywhere in commercials, movies, etc. The only problem comes in when they stop blooming and you're left with a few non-descript leaves and roots poking out all over. Most people chuck them or give them away at that point, figuring there's something wrong with them. But they all need a rest period and it's not that easy to get them to rebloom when they're used to the pristine conditions of a greenhouse.

I only have one Phal left. All of my other orchids are more exotic types which demand much more care. One of my favorites named for a Hawaiian man, I read the store on why it was named this but I can't find it now.

Iwanagaara Apple Blossom:

iwan_appleblossom.jpg

I'll tell you when it gets sad. My wife was in an accident 10 years ago and she has a degenerating spine now and cannot go and take care of the once beautiful rose bushes and flowers she took so much pride in. Now because we both have complications the home has been scalled way back where the flowers are gone,to neighbors, and the landscaping is done by a company. Now life can and is unfair at times but when you can't do the simple things it is ruff.

I'm not a flower person but can tell you a very nice one when I see them and those are.BD

I'm sorry BD. :(

But you can grow "mini-roses" indoors on a windowsill you know. They come in some purty colors too. If you keep them in small pots, they will stay a manageable size too.

greenfreak said:
I'm no one to argue with what works, so it sounds and looks like they're doing just fine! She would only have to worry about bugs, there are tons of them that love to feast on orchids.

Orchids aren't really all that bad once you know what they want. Phals are said to be the easiest and that's probably true, although they're not "easy" if you're growing indoors. Dens tend to like cooler temps so it loves those cool nights but it probably suffers a bit in the heat.

I asked my sister about them, she told me that when the plants got here they resented it and almost dried, then they started to get used to it. They were on the backyard and they never bloomed, but as soon as she moved them to where they are they began to flowrish, odd, considering that both share the same conditions :confuse3:

Cares? she said that only water like 2 times a week and other than that they are almost unatended.

You think they will manage to stay beautiful with the upcoming autumn (30 to 5ºC) and winter (26 to -4ºC)?

edit: this one
attachment.php
already bloomed.

She got it right with the current spot, she found what they wanted and gave it to them. During the summer, watering 2 times a week is exactly what I do. Fall and winter she should only water once a week when they stop growing. That is, when there's no sign of new leaves or for the Dendrobium, new pseudobulbs from the base.

Dens usually bloom in winter because they need a 10 to 20 degree difference between night and day temperatures, and winter is when you usually get that big of a difference. Besides holding back the water when the growth stops, she shouldn't do anything different.

But next year, if she fertilizes lightly with each watering when they are in constant growth, she'll be rewarded even more than she has been. That purple Phal has branches from the main stem which isn't all that common. Take a look at this monster to see what they're capable of:

phal_unknown2.jpg

Back