God help me.

my missus is going to start learning again ater 7 years [failed 3 times before i met her], there is no way on earth i'd teach her to drive. we still get on ok at the moment, if i tried to give her any advice in a car one of us would end up dead [me, most likely].

good luck to rusty on his learning, and go easy on him :)

PuterTutor said:
In fact, you could get a Farm License in Iowa at 14 that would let you drive a farm truck into town and back.
Believe it or not, you could in New York, too. I grew up on a farm.

ash, you didn't have to pay another $45. to renew did you? What's keeping you from doing the driver's ed/road test thing? I couldn't wait to learn how to drive. I still love it as much now as I did when I was 17. :)

Alladin, the parking thing is part of the reason people won't keep cars in the city, plus the congestion, plus the insurance because it's much more expensive, plus you get your hubcaps stolen in like the first month, invariably you end up with damage to it... It's just not worth it for city dwellers.

ris, I'll go easy. I'm surprisingly patient when it comes to Rusty. :D I have better dexterity than he does and I realize that I can't compare my driving skills with his, that's just not fair. He'll do fine, I'm sure. :)

They call it a farm permit when you're 14, but I didn't live on a farm at the time. :confuse3: You can get it, but can't drive alone unless its for farm work exclusively. At 15 it turns restricted for us "city folk" to drive alone to work/school only (all else with a guardian). 16 and you're free.

Make sure you teach him how to drive a stick before he goes in for his license. He'll thank you for it someday. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow, but someday.

you got to be really careful on the m25 these days, i hear in some places its got so slow they've made it pay and display :D

Aunty Em said:
ris said:
you got to be really careful on the m25 these days, i hear in some places its got so slow they've made it pay and display :D

:rofl4:

Damn Brit humor. That is apparently very amusing, yet means nothing to me. :confuse3:

Yeah, I already taught him how to drive a stick (illegally) on my last car. He did pretty good with it actually. I don't think you really learn how to drive it though till you actually have a car that's a stick and drive it every day.

PuterTutor said:
Aunty Em said:
ris said:

:rofl4:

Damn Brit humor. That is apparently very amusing, yet means nothing to me. :confuse3:

"Pay and display" is what you do in a carpark... buy a ticket and display it on the windshield.... or get a big fine or clamped or both!

M25 = London Orbital Carpark.... :rofl4:

I bet you guys travel there weekends? :D when i'm in the mood for some fast drivin i make night trips, only real danger is some dodgy lorry driver :lol:

Early christmas morning about 7am is the best time to go "racing". No cops about.... no anybody... we used to go to a friends in Kettering for christmas, from Ipswich. It usually took a couple of hours but on christmas morning it was about 50 minutes away. :D

i drove it christmas eve at about 3am on my way from bristol to stow. there wasn't much traffic there at that time of night but still enough to surprise me.

i did the southbound part to kent last may and it was horrific.

I've done a few drives down into kent, sussex and surrey that I wouldn't like to repeat in a hurry going southbound. I usually try to go very early or very late, but that's not always possible. I did an interesting drive over to buckinghamshire last summer... there's no direct route so I was zigzagging all over the place to avoid the traffic blackspots. :)

Traffic down there and around here is horrendous during the holiday season. I usually try to go to little known local beaches that aren't frequented by tourists in the summer. Clacton and Walton are OK in the autumn/winter but Mersea Island or Brightlingsea are best in the summer. ;)

Back