God I hate winter....

unclehobart said:
Do you have a contractor friend who might have a laser temperature reader? You could pinpoint the exact nature of how much heatsinking the walls and ceiling are doing as well as the door materials themselves. You may have a greater insulation issue at hand beyond improper weatherstipping.

Is this a door that you use very much? Have you considered a tapestry of sorts to cover the door in the interim? It doesn't sound as if the landlords give a rip.

Unfortunately we use it all the time and no I don't have a friend who can check it.

As for the landlord, basically council housing is public housing. My local council have 7000 properties to look after on a limited budget. Their priority at this time is acheiving the government targets for upgrading the properties they have with replacement windows, central heating and new bathrooms and kitchens. This property was upgraded the year before I moved in about 5 years ago. Unfortunately the council have to put the work out to tender and are legally bound to take the lowest quote. As you can imagine this must affect the quality of the replacements and the craftmanship involved.

As they also repair things on a priority basis a draughty door does not come very high up the list in the same way that a broken boiler or burst pipe would, and they invariably send someone who really isn't qualified to deal with it properly. I have had the surveyer in who said that it is caused by what ris said and gave me advice on dealing with condensation, which I already knew. :rolleyes:

I'll have another whine at them too, but I don't expect anyone will turn up until after the weather improves and the problem isn't so apparent ~ like last time.

Oh yeah, and the hot tap in the kitchen has just jammed so I have to get washing up water from the bathroom or boil a kettle.... what fun!

Actually as landlords go this council are pretty good as they do try to get things done in a given time, and this is a problem caused more by the quality or otherwise of the materials used I think and probably by the fact that the door was wrongly sited in the first place. I personally think it should have been put in in the kitchen not the bedroom.

Aunty Em said:
But I'm on quarterly billing and just to piss you off even more, I get instant hot water from my boiler in the kitchen so I never wash in cold water, though I often did when I was a nurse in hospital accomodation. I'm truely glad those days are over.... :)

Aunty Em said:
Oh yeah, and the hot tap in the kitchen has just jammed so I have to get washing up water from the bathroom or boil a kettle.... what fun!

What's that expression I'm looking for? Oh, yes. "There but for the grace of God, go I.";)

*snicker*

Professur said:
Aunty Em said:
Oh yeah, and the hot tap in the kitchen has just jammed so I have to get washing up water from the bathroom or boil a kettle.... what fun!]
What's that expression I'm looking for? Oh, yes. "There but for the grace of God, go I.";)

*snicker*

True, but the showers still hot even if it's snowing outside. :)

Apparently we are in the grip of a nasty blizzard and there's traffic chaos all over the land ~ [sarcasm] big surprise that [/sarcasm] ~ so I think tomorrow will be a "play day" as I can't see Katie going to school, but we shall see. My stupid cat has only just come home after being called at least a dozen times over the last hour! I was begining to worry if he was alright. I thought he didn't like snow.

I think I'll make some nice thick chunky vegetable soup in the morning and some crusty bread rolls, that should keep the chill out.

Back