Going Camping

kuulani said:
Whoa!! Props to the blind guy!! :headbang:

Props?? Yeah... uh, he had a couple of hiking poles to prop him up and keep him from bumping into things. :confuse3:

[think]never thought Ku'u was the type to make fun of blind people, but hey, if she's doing it...[/think]

My friend, Troy, was up front with a bell on his backpack to help Dave (the blind guy) follow him. I was in back giving him the occasional remark like, "left a half step," "right a step." Dave is pretty independent minded, and he started getting a little aggravated at me for "excessive" helping. He told me not to worry about it if he got a little bit off the trail, just correct him if he stepped way off. About a thirty minutes later, he took a half step off the trail and ran smack into a tree. He completely missed the tree with his hiking sticks and ran right into it with his face. Of course, I couldn't laugh at him out loud, but inside I was rolling on the ground laughing my ass off. :rofl:

That's when I explained to him that I couldn't see upcoming trees and bushes over his backpack, and keeping him dead in the trail by correcting where his feet went was the best way I knew to keep him from smacking into trees. :p

Oops, sorry, local slang.

What I meant to say was that I give him credit for going hiking and not letting his blindness stop him from doing things.

I know people who would just stay home and be boring and let their disability stop them from living.

kuulani said:
I know people who would just stay home and be boring and let their disability stop them from living.

hey, staying at home POSTING is my life :D :D

kuulani said:
Oops, sorry, local slang.

What I meant to say was that I give him credit for going hiking and not letting his blindness stop him from doing things.

Yeah, Dave's cool. We were at a party this evening with him and his wife, and he was out on the dance floor having a great time.

Besides the hiking, he has also participated in several triathalons. I've never gone to watch him, so I'm not sure exactly how he's able to do it. I do know that he has a partner who trains with him and helps direct him. For the bicycle part, they have a tandem bike and the other guy steers. Our local newspaper has done a couple of articles on him.

Back