Golf anyone?

Frankly, I enjoy the hell out of baseball, but pretty much anything else on sports TV, I could give a shit about. I'll watch football, or even golf, with friends, but I don't give enough of a damn to watch by myself.

Let me backpeddle a bit on baseball.

I find it boring if I am alone and solely trying to pay attention to it. Its just too slow and strategic to hold my gaze. Its decent as background so long as its not my primary focus... sorta like music at a party. Its doable as a primary focus if there is a room full of people that love the game and can talk stats and whatnot and give a little more 'oomph'.

..and a few beers to boot.

unclehobart said:
Let me backpeddle a bit on baseball.

I find it boring if I am alone and solely trying to pay attention to it. Its just too slow and strategic to hold my gaze.

But golf is fast paced and filled with abandon? :D

Just overlook me. I'm a baseball fanatic.

SouthernN'Proud said:
But golf is fast paced and filled with abandon? :D

Just overlook me. I'm a baseball fanatic.
Actually... yes. Baseball is one pitcher and one center of action. He can park it up there for two minutes flagging off signs and throwing to first. It gets rigid and stale at points. Golf has 54 players knocking stuff around. With 3 cameras per hole and and that much information to filter, its almost a circus of action. Its shot, shot, shot, shot, fuckup, fuckup, shot, eagle!

unclehobart said:
Actually... yes. Baseball is one pitcher and one center of action. He can park it up there for two minutes flagging off signs and throwing to first. It gets rigid and stale at points. Golf has 54 players knocking stuff around. With 3 cameras per hole and and that much information to filter, its almost a circus of action. Its shot, shot, shot, shot, fuckup, fuckup, shot, eagle!

The major problem with that being keeping track of who you're watching, as they flip from hole to hole every ten seconds.

Not a big fan of golf here either. To me, only the end is really worth watching if it comes down to one shot. I find that to be true to basketball as well, frankly. Then again, I'm deprived as I've never been to a golf course without a free game hole that is truly impossible at the end of it.

unclehobart said:

But the sheer thrill of watching some feller walk from tee to fairway, toss grass into the air to guage wind speed, adjust his crotch, talk to his caddie for four minutes about which club to use, select the club, toss more grass, address the ball, back off, change clubs, readjust the crotch, go through seven practice swings, scratch his nose, go through pre-swing ritual, THEN swing and advance the ball to the next spot so he can repeat the process is enthralling? :devious:

It's all subjective. I understand baseball thoroughly. I understand the strategy behind every pitch, every throw to first, every defensive realignment, every aspect of the game. So just because a pitcher is playing mind games with a hitter, I don't lose interest. My attention span is a tad longer than two minutes I guess.

But it's all good. If everyone liked the same stuff, I wouldn't have anybody to bitch at, right?

But the sheer thrill of watching some feller walk from tee to fairway, toss grass into the air to guage wind speed, adjust his crotch, talk to his caddie for four minutes about which club to use, select the club, toss more grass, address the ball, back off, change clubs, readjust the crotch, go through seven practice swings, scratch his nose, go through pre-swing ritual, THEN swing and advance the ball to the next spot so he can repeat the process is enthralling?

That doesn't happen until the end of the day when there are only 4-6 people left on the course and the cameras don't have gobs of people to follow... but by that point its only the best players left and its all down to the wire anyway. You see less than 10% of the action because there simply isn't enough time to watch it all. If your perception of golf is tossing grass and nose scratching with nothing going on... then you obviously have never watched any of it.

As I said originally, I watch some but don't really follow it. I wouldn't attend a tournament in person. I watch mainly for the scenery...golf courses (particularly Augusta and Pebble Beach) are some of the most beautifully landscaped spots on Earth.

lft050715.gif

The thing that I really love about golf is that champions of the game before I was even born are still playing and playing well. Your prime area of play is a span of darn near 40 years. You can grow old watching the same players. There are no teams. There are no contract renegotiations. Your prize is what you can win... not what your agent can squeeze out of a team. How much time does one have in football? 10-12 years? Baseball? 15-20? People can play golf for about 70 years. What other sport has people playing it that are repectable; that don't leave dozens of kids by diferent women all over the nation; that show their ass every time they get a chance?

Your prize is what you can win. You paycheque, however, is what your agent can squeeze out of your sponsors.

Back