Gonz, and other home-school/public school conspirasts.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
This is a book that was written by a guy that was a teacher in New Yorks Public School system for 30 years. Pretty interesting stuff.

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm

If I demanded you give up your television to an anonymous, itinerant repairman who needed work you’d think I was crazy; if I came with a policeman who forced you to pay that repairman even after he broke your set, you would be outraged. Why are you so docile when you give up your child to a government agent called a schoolteacher?
Pretty powerful statement there.

Well...I'm not about to read this guy's whole book before I reply...but right off the bat...:

Not everyone can afford to not have both parents working..sometimes multiple jobs.

If you can't stay with your kid, you can't homeschool. Your options are no school (which is pretty much illegal), public school and private school.

While I agree that much of teachers' salaries come from the GVT... to say that they are GVT agents (although using the dictionary terminology is quite correct) is misleading. It's also indicative of a pretty anti-GVT ideology.

To homeschool because you don't trust the ability of teachers to give enough attention to your child, or that you don't like the curriculum is one thing..to do so because you feel that the system is controlled by the GVT is quite another kettle of fish.

when you need your tv fixed you call a repairman...but it's your ass if you don't monitor what they are doing to your set.

MrBishop said:
Not everyone can afford to not have both parents working..sometimes multiple jobs.

Yes Bish, they can. Choices & priorities must change but everyone can afford it.

Bish said:
to do so because you feel that the system is controlled by the GVT is quite another kettle of fish.

*raises hand excitedly*

Excuse me, ugh, excuse me, Mr Bish....if not the government, then who?

Ok, the book is not all about home-schooling. It's about changing the schools, it's really a pretty good read if you can handle reading on a monitor for a long time.

PT, if you intend on home schooling, I submit to you that "conspirast" is not in fact an actual word. I think you're supposed to use the existing ones, not make up new ones. :lol:

chcr said:
PT, if you intend on home schooling, I submit to you that "conspirast" is not in fact an actual word. I think you're supposed to use the existing ones, not make up new ones. :lol:
OH bullshit, I've been making up words since I was born. No reason for my kids not to learn them.

:D

DooHickey is a word, right?

Gonz said:
Yes Bish, they can. Choices & priorities must change but everyone can afford it.

*raises hand excitedly*

Working 3 jobs plus freelance if you include MrsBish and I. We don't eat out, we don't rent movies, we don't buy new clothes, new cars, new anything really...but we are very good at sacrificing. We sacrificed to scrimp our way up to lower-middle class...maybe upper lower-class.

What we aren't willing to do is give up our home and go on welfare so that either me or MrsBish can stay home and attempt to do what neither of us is trained to do...teach all topics.

Gonz said:

The GVT sets the rules...but doesn't rule the school.

In the same way as you have to obey the laws, but I think that I'd be going a little far in calling you a GVT Agent :D

MrBishop said:
We don't eat out, we don't rent movies, we don't buy new clothes, new cars, new anything really...but we are very good at sacrificing..

We own a 56 year old POS house that was small but cheap in the city. Most white wimins would balk at this lower class substandard no play-date making neighborhood. We bought & are still paying off 2 used vehicles. I take the one with the most gas to work. My wife has several medications. I have one but won't take it. (Lipitor is a really stupid drug). We have satelite TV & broadband....our exclusive entertainment. Typical utilities. We juggle our credit cards bills. One job & momma stays home.

Priorities.

Back