Good news!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Two Canadian aid workers and a British colleague held hostage in Iraq for nearly four months were freed Thursday during a multinational military operation involving Canadian special forces.

The freed aid workers include Canadians James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32, and Briton Norman Kember, 74.

CTV News has learned that Canada's elite JTF-2 special forces played a role in helping to rescue the three aid workers.

"We're told that Canadian special forces and British special forces played a very key role," CTV's Robert Fife told Newsnet.

Though Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Canada participated in the operation, he wouldn't confirm nor deny reports that the top secret commandoes helped rescue the aid workers.

"At every phase of these particular events of this hostage-taking, Canadian government officials, the government of Canada, was fully engaged," Harper told reporters in Gatineau, Que.

"Anything beyond that, I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to say. These are issues of national security," said Harper, who was awakened in the early hours with news of the rescue.

The Americans and British had played an "outstanding role'' in freeing the men, Harper said.

He expressed his thanks to Prime Minister Tony Blair personally and to President George Bush through the U.S. ambassador.

The Defence Department also refused to confirm Canadian military involvement, but a source told The Canadian Press the elite squad was "instrumental" in the rescue operation.
thanks, furriners, for helping us get our guys back. :headbang:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060323/hostages_freed_060323/20060323?hub=TopStories

Yeah, but didn't the American get killed a few days ago?

ummm, Tonks? I think you need to let the dog out....or in.

It was a few weeks ago. He wasn't in a video that did show the rest of them in January?February? and then a few weeks ago they found his body on a road. Sad.

I never did find out what happened to him exactly. I was hoping it was "natural" and not violent.

They have zero respect for the people that rescued them. It took outrage to thank the people who risked their lives to rescue these ungrateful people. As far as the media goes...the term is not FREED, it's rescued.

Leslie said:
thanks, furriners, for helping us get our guys back. :headbang:

psst,there was Canadian Special Forces involved ,if'n it had been furriners there would have been shots fired ,(at us) :bolt:

Our boys were in Afghanistan. After we took charge of the peacekeeping, magically, the other dudes were found.

hmmmmmmmm

:p

no, really, I'm reading that it was multi-national, and that it was led by the British, and we had some elite commandos there for the job.

Leslie said:
and we had some elite commandos there for the job.

I can vividly picture Prof running around in Iraq with a double barrelled gun and a Elmer Fudd hat saying "Where's them wiligious wadicals?"

Altron said:
I can vividly picture Prof running around in Iraq with a double barrelled gun and a Elmer Fudd hat saying "Where's them wiligious wadicals?"

You bastich, keep that up I may may get banned from the library for LOL. :lol:

Altron said:

:rofl:

AlphaTroll said:
Canada has special forces? :rofl: Come on, the truth this time.....they sent in Dudley Doright & his mounties eh?

:rofl4:

Seriously, though, I have seen the Canucks here quite often. They sometimes fly for the UN, and, most of the time, fly for themselves.

We have Special Forces, in fact the FIRST special forces unit was a half canadian half US unit.

They are tough, yes we have tough soldiers.

And before you complain about US soldiers at abu ghraib, look up what the Canadian Airborne did in Somalia, yes we even have soldiers that torture and kill innocents.

Back