government motors - aw shucks!

2minkey

bootlicker
chrysler makes progress in paying off gov't. loans.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/business/25chrysler.html

what do we call this now, gonz? de-socialization of industry? so much for permanent gov't command and control, huh? oh, but they'll never let go once they got something, right?

sorry, kranky.

060506.jpg

Ah, so it really was all just sunshine and puppies? Nobody got screwed and everyone benefited fairly. Great, lets do it all over the place. /s

yes, sunshine and puppies.

naw, everybody knows that things are hard. 'specially you.

but nice try.

gee whiz, ya just can't budge can ya?

kinda like old number seven.

jackass1.jpg

nice work, jackass.

your right minx, poopies and sunshine everywhere...for unions.
Chrysler recently reported a 4th quarter loss of $652 million. So what does a UAW majority owned company that is losing money do? How about a bonus for UAW workers?

Current Chrysler ownership breakdown puts the UAW at a 63.5% ownership stake while the US Treasury holds a 9.2% stake. Italy's Fiat currently owns 25%. Bonuses planned for UAW workers are estimated to average $750.

It is disturbing that at the same time Chrysler plans for UAW bonus distributions they are back asking taxpayers for more money. Reuters reports that Chrysler has applied for $3 billion in subsidized loans from the Department of Energy. Sean McAlinden, chief economist for the Center for Automotive Research, says that Chrysler expects "another really tough year and they need the money." It seems odd that the UAW would receive bonuses under these circumstances.

NLPC

Now if we just sell the last 6% @ what we paid for it, and then there's that 20% interest rate that was in the deal somewhere.

government motors Down the rathole

but they'll never let go once they got something, right?

Well I suppose we are going to 'let go' of Iraq and Afghnaistan soon too?

We might be waiting a while for a return on investment from those deals eh?

They are not paying off the government loan with their own money. They just borrowed money from others privately to pay off the loan.

What do we call this? It's paying off your credit card with another.

They are not paying off the government loan with their own money. They just borrowed money from others privately to pay off the loan.

What do we call this? It's paying off your credit card with another.

you now you're going to whine about their finance practices? it's a free country, right?

they are getting the government out of their business as soon as possible.

i wonder why...

*punch*

First off, Government Motors. See the connection. Chrysler has always been a third rate pretender.

I haven't had time to look at this story, in detail, but I do remember GM (hey, there's those initials again) "paying off their loan early" too - with bailout money.

I hope they both make it completely out from under the governments thumb. Maybe then they can quit taking orders for cars nobody wants & get back in the business of manufacturing customer driven products. If that fails, allow them to either declare bankruptcy or go out of business.

There are enough assets that somebody will scoop 'em up. Keep the government out of the car business.

I hope they both make it completely out from under the governments thumb. Maybe then they can quit taking orders for cars nobody wants & get back in the business of manufacturing customer driven products. If that fails, allow them to either declare bankruptcy or go out of business.

i concur.

you now you're going to whine about their finance practices? it's a free country, right?

they are getting the government out of their business as soon as possible.

i wonder why...

*punch*

I'm not whining. They are just not turning around and getting out of debt is all. I wonder though if they could have done this earlier and not need a bailout from the government.

I don't think I'll be buying bailout cars for quite some time. We just bought a car made in Kentucky, union free. ;)

I know plenty of folks whose principles will hold against bailout cars.

new factory in tennessee. $27/hr. total compensation including health bennies. try raising a family on that.

ha ha ha.

You'd be surprised how well we the people can get by. What is the actual hourly wage?

Guess what? Chrysler sold gas guzzlers to save their ass.

Nobody wants Obama's "green" cars.

SOURCE

Last Updated: May 24. 2011 1:02AM
Payne: SUVs saved Chrysler
Henry Payne/ The Michigan View.com

Chrysler and the White House will celebrate the Detroit icon's $5.9 billion repayment of government loans Tuesday in a ceremony that will be hailed by both sides for the same reason: The government bailout had become a liability for both entities.

In fact, government-free Chrysler is hardly off the debt hook, but is simply refinancing its debt with private rather than public debt-holders. For its part, the U.S. government will still have a 6.6 percent equity stake in Chrysler - but by removing itself as the company's loan shark, the White House can boast of the unpopular bailout's success in returning taxpayer loans 6 years ahead of schedule. That's an important sound-bite in an election year.

But there is one inconvenient truth you won't hear at the Sterling Heights, Mich. ceremony: Chrysler wouldn't be here had it not defied its green White House masters. Chrysler's return to profitability is a direct result of the fabulous success of its SUVs.

The White House hand-picked Fiat to shepherd Chrysler out of bankruptcy in June, 2009 because of Barack Obama's obsession with remaking Detroit's automakers in the image of their European peers. Convinced that Americans craved small cars to fight the warming scourge, the president demanded Fiat bring its best-selling 500 Eurobox to the States as part of the acquisition deal. Obama was convinced that Fiat could reform the immoral, gas-swigging, SUV-dependent Chrysler.

The exact opposite occurred.

Two years later, the little 500 is about to go on sale in dealer "boutiques" - but it is the resurgence of America's appetite for trucks that has brought Chrysler back from the dead. Chrysler Group reported sales were up 17 percent to 1.1 million vehicles in 2010 on the strength of its wildly popular, redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs. For CEO Marchionne, the SUVs success in the U.S. market has been a revelation and he is planning to expand the SUV lineup into Europe with Alfa Romeo and Maserati-badged trucks. Marchionne is no starry-eyed green - he has realized that trucks like the Cherokee typically rake in twice the per-vehicle profit of cars (thus the beleaguered company's speedy repayment of U.S. loans).

Chrysler's truck sales - largely ignored by Obama's green media parrots - has also been good to UAW workers as Chrysler's Detroit assembly plant is now at full, three-shift capacity.

But there is one more inconvenient truth: Chrysler has been here before.

After it repaid its 1980s loans under the legendary hand of Lee Iacocca, Chrysler was unable to diversify into smaller vehicles.Today, as the truck boom fades before the specter of $4-a-gallon gas, Chrysler is still heavily dependent on truck sales.

Chrysler is back. But is it just 1980s déjà vu all over again?

Henry Payne is editor of The Michigan View.com

new factory in tennessee. $27/hr. total compensation including health bennies. try raising a family on that.

ha ha ha.

might be tough out on the west coast, but in Ga., one could make due nicely.
(well, depending on how far one had to commute)

might be tough out on the west coast, but in Ga., one could make due nicely.
(well, depending on how far one had to commute)

make do.

you have a problem with homophones. peel can prolly help you out with that. at a highway rest stop.

Back