Grammar clarification thread

3) sit vs set
4) raise vs rise
5) can vs may

Can, as an verb, describes the ability of a person to do something or the possibility of something to happen. "He can keep on headbanging long after the little pink bunny gives up." "Can it be that he's actually getting tired?"

Can, as a noun, describes a cylindrical shape with a hollow interior which is usually metal. "He inhaled the can of coffee before it was even opened, so he could keep on headbanging", or a jail, "He headbanged so much that it was illegal, and they threw him in the can", or a toilet, "He headbangs even when on the can", or the ass, "His can must be getting tired from all that sitting.

May, if you ignore its use as the name of a month, is a verb used to denote permission, "May I keep on headbanging, daddy?", possibility, "He may just keep on headbanging until he dies.", desire, "He may want to look at your mongos, but he still ain't gonna quit headbanging", or purpose, "He kept headbanging so that his children may come to respect the power of headbanging over desire"

6) Define coordinating conjuction. Usually and or or, and placed between two similarly constructed elements. As used in "He won't say whether he's going to stop or not"
7) Name the articles. The articles as defined in the English language are a, an, and the
8) Define indirect object. An object that is affected indirectly by an action.
9) Can a complex sentence consit of a) two independent clauses, b) two dependend clauses, c) one independent and one dependent clause C, a complex sentence always consists of at least one main clause and one subordinate clause. (these are getting really hard, I commend you for having the balls to make me use my brain :D)
10) What is a comma splice? A comma that is used to join two main clauses

Still harder (in my opinion):

11) What is a gerund phrase? Well, if I remember correctly a gerund is a noun formed from a verb by adding -ing to the end of it, so I guess a gerund phrase is a phrase which uses a gerund? :retard: As in "The banging of his head"
12) What is a participle phrase? A phrase containing a word that is normally a verb, but in that particular phrase, is used as an adjective.
13) What is an infinitive phrase? A phrase using a verb as a noun, or a verb without a tense

Case closed. :beardbng:

:headbang: fury is da man!!

Clarification: An infinitive phrase will begin with an infinitive (to + simple form of the verb) and include objects and/or modifiers.

*screams because I just read 11 chapters over the weekend and my brain is going to burst*

isn't participle a verb form that usually has the termination "ed" ?

That too, but not always. It'd probably be more accurate to say it is almost always a past tense verb. That way it covers all the past tense verbs that don't end in -ed

ohhhh yeah, that's why i said "usually" :D

ridden, seen, drank comes to my mind.

Time for a little rant... Notice the spelling of judgment. Notice that there is no "e" after the "g". Anyone caught violating my laws will be punished in this court and GOD ALMIGHTY is my witness. :D

Luis G said:
according to my dictionary, judgement is also correct.
This is MY court. :p Actually, judgement is also correct but it is rarely used in professional documents and writings.

ok, good to know that, but i'll keep writing it with the e after the g :D

Back