Grandparents

unclehobart

What did your grandparents do for a living?

Moms side:
Grandpa: WW2 Marine, Air Force, DEA logistics.
Grandma: mommy thing then was a nurse. Retired and became an aerobics instructor for a decade ... then really did retire.

Dads side:
Grandpa: Dentist, stock broker
Grandma: Doctorate in botany. Taught in New York for a while. Did the mommy thing.

All 4 were damn near golf pros. Dads parents were sharks at bridge.

Mom's side:
Grandmother owned a flooring store in Columbus, Ohio with her brother.
Grandfather was an electrical lineman, then a supervisor before he retired in the sixties.

Dad's side:
Grandmother did the mom thing till kids were grown then worked in the Smith-Corona factory (they were called typewriters ;) )
Grandfather was a doughboy in WWI (the great war, the war to end all wars, etc.) then a custodian in the school where his kids and then his grandkids went to school.

Dad's side:
Pop (aka grandpa to all you folks): Worked on a boat with the Newfoundland fisheries...was the captain in the end, nice pension apparently, retired young
Nan (aka grandma to all you folks): Mommy thing

Mom's side:
Pop: Dept of highways and such, again, nice pension apparently, retired young
Nan: Mommy thing to 10 kids :D

Dad's side:
GF: Worked as a lawyer.
GM: Mommy thing, plus she had a few properties and made profit out of them (rent).

Mom's side:
GF: Doctor and medicine teacher (anatomy class to be specific).
GM: Mommy thing.

Dad's side:
Grandfather: I'm honestly not sure. I believe he worked for General Motors.
Grandmother: Local window manufacturer.

Mom's side:
Grandfather: Plain old waterfront farmer. Built the house he still lives in. Good Polish guy :)
Grandmother: Typical 40s-50s housewife. Vaccumed in pearls.

Mom's side:
Grandpa was a farmer, then a WW2 vet, then a farmer again. Owned a Grocery store for awhile, then went into Motel management. He died plowing snow at a hotel.
Grandma was mostly a housewife, although she did work in a munitions factory during WW2, and she helped with the motels along the way. She went to school after Grandpa died and became a nurses aide. Towards the end she had a radio show she did weekly gossip on and took care of three people that were younger than her.

Dad's side:

:shrug: Don't know.

moms side:
GF - died young from injuries sustained in an industrial accident
GM - not sure. i think she was an office worker of some sort

dads side:
GF - no idea. he left when my dad was very young.
GM - ran a health food store.

Maternal Grandparents

GanGan (Grandfather) - Qualified engineer involved in working out the bolst to put on the back of cranes lifting items in the ship yards (NorthEast of England had a massive ship building industry ) ... also used to drive the crane if the driver didn't trust his judgement! He had may a scrape though!

Nana (Grandmother) - Left school at 14 became a shoe shop assistant and shoe fitter. Gave it up to become a housewife/homemaker and mother... then returned part time in a big department store when my mum was older.

Paternal Grandparents

Granddad - Skilled time served carpenter. Worked mainly in the ship yards but suffered a number of long term stretches of unemployment... as was the nature of ship building. Once the ship was fitted the whole yard would be layed off and only rehired when another ship docked... first come first served. :shrug:

Granny (Grandmother) - Silver service waitress, laudrette worker, carer in a care home... etc etc etc as well as a housewife. She had to work to support the family.

Guess which one of my parents were the "better off"...

Dad's side:

Opa: Qualified Engineer, farmer, engineering again. Was a PoW in WWII.
Oma: A bit of everything. Farmer, Cleaner, Mother, etc.

Mum's side:

Grandad: Engineer.
Grandma: Care-worker, Factory worker (during the war), mother, etc.

BeardofPants said:
Dad's side:

Mum's side:

Oma and Opa?

What's your heritage BoP? Dutch? Swedish?

Maternal:

Grandfather - Painter, farmer, worked where he could. Sharecropper for many years, one of his sons was a true sharecropper until his death a year or so ago.

Grandmother - Disabled, never learned to drive a car. Raised 6 kids.

Paternal:

Grandfather - Farmer, sold tomatoes to a local cannery, raised tobacco. Did some sawmilling and smithing when needed. Typical Appalachian subsistence farmer.

Grandmother: Never left the farm, never drove a car. Raised 8 kids. Made the best jams and jellies known to mankind. Canned vegetables, meats, and fruits year round. Again, typical Appalachian farm wife.

All four now deceased. Paternal grandfather died before I was born. Both maternal grandparents died within 8 days of one another.

Maternal:

GF - Chemical Engineer. Ended up owning a small operation in Ohio.

GM - Housewife and mother. Borderline anti-social. I love the lady dearly, but the only reason she's seen northwards of 90 is that she'd simply too mean to fucking die.

Paternal:

GF - Managed large department stores.

GM - The most sheltered woman I ever met. Stay at home mom incapable of any real decision making. Never learned to drive.

HomeLAN said:
the only reason she's seen northwards of 90 is that she'd simply too mean to fucking die.

Awwwe man! Thats a classic!

*CB copies and pastes to memory to be used in connection with her Granny*

BeardofPants said:
Dad's side:

Mum's side:

qualified engineer?, engineer?

what kind of engineer? :confuse3:

ClaireBear said:
Oma and Opa?

What's your heritage BoP? Dutch? Swedish?
Just fyi:

Swedish:
Mom's Mom = Mormor
Mom's Dad = Morfar

Dad's Mom = Farmor
Dad's Dad = Farfar

**I'm of Swedish heritage.

Back