Ground is Hard. Bed Soft

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Well, I'm back. A day early too, we actually got back yesterday afternoon, after listening to the weatherman say a heat index of 105 yesterday, we decided to cut our trip short a day.

Got to Meramec State Park on Friday night. Great campground, we got two basic lots, set up our tents and proceeded to hunt for firewood. Our nephew managed to hit the motherload, and found some perfect firewood and drug in back to the campground, so we could get the fire going to start roasting hot dogs. Ate supper, and everyone was pretty well whipped, so we headed to bed.

Got up the next morning, to a nice shower, actually felt great, and we had the raincovers on the tent, so nothing important got wet. One important tip though, when they say to put your trash up, because racoons love to dig through it, they are apparently serious about this, as we had the trash from the evening before spread throughout our campgound. After I ran to town to get coffee for the wife and I, we started to try to cook breakfast. Well, wet wood doesn't like to burn much, so we ended up having cereal. We then went to the canoe rental cabin and rented 4 canoes, and got on a shuttle that took us about 4 or 5 miles up the river. Lazily floated down the river, this was the best part of the trip, stopped at a couple sandbars so the kids could get out and play in the water, and had a great time. Got back to the campground around 3 or so, and started the fire up for the evening meal. Hamburgers, this meal went pretty good, and the fire burned great, just love the taste of grilled burgers, a little smoky, they were great. Stayed up a little later Saturday night, talking to the campers in the next lot over, he was a Frito Lay salesman, so he brought us a couple bags of chips, that was cool, as the kids had pretty well cleaned us out already. (Note to self: Bring lots more food next time.) Went to bed again, had a rather uneventful night this time, except the ambulance that showed up around 2 in the morning, it was up at the other end of the campground, so we never did find out what happened. Got up and was able to cook our bacon and eggs Sunday morning, then started packing up to come home. Made it home around 11:00 yesterday morning, and everyone took a nap yesterday afternoon.

All in all, we had a great time, learned alot about what else to bring the next time, (AIR MATTRESSES), and the kids had a real good time without television, playstation, or any other electrical devices. I even did ok without my computer!

Oh yeah, no camping without an airmattress - that's my motto.

Glad to hear you all had a good time.

I have a self inflating mattress which is only 1.5 inches thick...and I even manage to sleep perfectly on that :D

Good to hear you had a good time!
Glad you're back though :)

welcome back :headbang:

and your trip sounds like fun, i might try going camping sometime in the next months, because it's been a long time since i last did that.....

I used those inflatable pool floats that looked like beds. It was just as good as an air mattress but looking back, I would have slept on it a couple of days before I left to get used to it. And it's cheaper and lighter than an air mattress. The only bitch is blowing it up!

The first morning after we got there, I realized that because of the temperature difference inside the tent and the heat of our breath, the inside walls of the tent had condensation all over them. Slimy walls first thing in the morning is a little gross. I liked sleeping in lean-to's when I went hiking rather than tenting it.

Well I'm glad you had a pretty good trip! A coworker of mine went camping and her boyfriend got poison ivy in his eye from the campfire smoke. :eek:

Glad you guys had a great time on the camping trip!

An air mattress is a must have for car camping, imo. Get a Coleman flock-lined. Those are great. You can also get a little battery powered pump for them.

Another good thing to have is a gas stove. A fire is better for hot dogs and hamburgers, but I like having a stove to cook breakfast on. Coleman makes a nice two-burner stove for about $40.

Reading about your trip made me ready to go camping. Can't wait until it cools down some.

Yeah, after we left yesterday, we got to looking at the map of the campground, and found out they have group sites there too, just a little cove off by itself. Called up this morning and reserved one of them for the 27th to 29th of September, should be alot cooler then. Don't know if we'll be able to do any swimming, but canoeing will still be fun.

And we'll be a little better prepared.

Canoes are always fun!! Next time we go camping, I'm hoping to take our kayak with us.

We grilled hamburgers and hotdogs last night on the fire - we have to pretend to camp since we're not going camping for awhile :D

Sleeping on the ground? What's that? :D When we camp I lay a matress in the bed of my truck ... ah, camping in luxury :D

Back