group policy on local machine

tommyj27

Not really Banned
ok, here's one for all you windows fiends since i'm pathetically rusty. is it possible to define group policy for a local machine that is not joined to a domain? i've got a lab that i'm sick and tired of trying to control through the goodness of my heart and through the integrity of my students. i just want to lock the fuckers down till the PCs can't see daylight. unfortunately the tech support here is abominable and i'm not in charge of it, hence we don't have a working domain for this lab. i've been looking for the group policy tool but IIRC it's a part of AD, is this correct? does anyone know what i'm talking about?

w2k pro. i don't think changing the name of the workgroup will do anything, unless there's a way to access the group policy settings w/o a domain. i think i need a domain controller. i'm going to have to start raising cain about that. these computers are starting to get bad and i don't have time to micro-manage each one of them.

Right click on "my comp", goto "manage"
there under "shared folder" you can set the permissions for each share.

catocom said:
Right click on "my comp", goto "manage"
there under "shared folder" you can set the permissions for each share.

Oh yeah, and below the "shared folders" thing is the "local users/group policies"

tommyj27 said:
ok, here's one for all you windows fiends since i'm pathetically rusty. is it possible to define group policy for a local machine that is not joined to a domain? i've got a lab that i'm sick and tired of trying to control through the goodness of my heart and through the integrity of my students. i just want to lock the fuckers down till the PCs can't see daylight. unfortunately the tech support here is abominable and i'm not in charge of it, hence we don't have a working domain for this lab. i've been looking for the group policy tool but IIRC it's a part of AD, is this correct? does anyone know what i'm talking about?
Dunno about 2k...dont' have one in front of me to test this on. I know its available for XP.

Check this out for a refrence on what does what:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2f-da15-438d-8e48-45915cd2bc14&displaylang=en

Start > Run > gpedit.msc

ok mirlyn, one more quickie. once i make changes to group policy on one machine is it possible to replicate it to other machines without a domain controller?

tommyj27 said:
ok mirlyn, one more quickie. once i make changes to group policy on one machine is it possible to replicate it to other machines without a domain controller?

Hmmm.....I think you'll have to go around to each one. I've always cloned labs using a hybrid "dd" of sorts (using a HTTP/NFS server for network storage of drive images). Our labs run Samba as a DC, and every other GP install I've done was in AD (2003 domains). I'll have to play and ask around to see exactly how to import/export on local machines.

Might try saving the registry on a virgin machine, then making your changes, exporting the registry, and running a diff on the two. :)

this is retarded, when i make changes to GPOs, some objects are applied. Others are not applied, and others are applied temporarily before reverting to their default behavior

tommyj27 said:
this is retarded, when i make changes to GPOs, some objects are applied. Others are not applied, and others are applied temporarily before reverting to their default behavior
Any reghacks? IIRC, Local GPOs are near the bottom of the chain.

i haven't done any monkeying with the registry values that i remember.
we don't have a domain here, so local computer policy should be the only one that applies.

For security settings which are defined by more than one policy, the following order of precedence, from highest to lowest, is observed:

•Organizational unit policy

•Domain policy

•Site policy

•Local computer policy

For example, the domain policy will override the local security policy for a workstation which is defined on a domain wherever there is a conflict. Likewise, if the same workstation is a member of an organizational unit, the settings applied from the organizational unit policy will override both the domain and local settings. If the workstation is a member of more than one organizational unit, then the organizational unit that immediately contains the workstation has the highest order of precedence.

ok, i think i have it solved. something to do with modifying GPOs over the network using an mmc snap-in

Back