Guess who I saw today?

freako104 said:
Dave Grohl grew up in Alexandria didnt he?
lake braddock to be precise but...when you speak to people that don't know the area you tend to pick the larger city that your area is part of...dave attended one year at robert e. lee in springfield (i was a mere freshman) we never associated although we had friends in common.

I met mutumbo while i was in atlantic city. Very nice and verrrry tall.
I have also met richard dean anderson he was nice also. then i met alan thicke, he was a total asshole.
I met them both whil doing a show in indianapolis.

i've seen a couple of local sports stars (bobby orr, cam neely, marvin hagler) but that was only cause someone pointed them out to me.
i'm one of those types that could sit right next to someone famous and be oblivious to who they were.

samcurry said:
I met mutumbo while i was in atlantic city. Very nice and verrrry tall.
I have also met richard dean anderson he was nice also. then i met alan thicke, he was a total asshole.
I met them both whil doing a show in indianapolis.

Oh yeah, you reminded me. I also met a few sci-fi people at a convention a few years back. I met that fat bald colonel guy from Star Gate, and Colin Baker (the 6th Doctor Who), and Katy Manning (companion to the third doctor who, and topless/dalek pin-up....) And the guy who played Chewie in the original star wards trilogy.

I interviewed David Carr for the Fresno State paper after a game, the year before he got drafted by the Houston Texans.

I met Matt Stover, kicker for the Baltimore Ravens....twice.

Of course, he is only a kicker, and it is only the Ravens, but gracious, he's a good looking guy.

tonksy said:
i must hate you now.

Here's the story I wrote after that interview:

Fresno State responded to what many considered to be the Bulldogs’ biggest game ever with a big performance, routing the 10th-ranked Oregon State Beavers 44-24 Sunday night.

David Carr threw for 340 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions and Rodney Wright caught seven passes for 182 yards—a career high—and two scores as the Bulldogs improved their record to 2-0.

The win was impressive enough to move Fresno State to a No. 19 ranking in the Associated Press poll released Monday, while Oregon State dropped all the way to No. 22. The top-25 ranking is the Bulldogs’ first since 1993.

After limiting the Beavers to three yards on their first possession, Carr led the Bulldogs on a 59 yard scoring drive in 3:02. The drive was capped by a 1-yard Paris Gaines touchdown run.

From then on, the Beavers were relentlessly taunted by chats of “Overrated! Overrated!” that lasted throughout the game.

“That’s just a cheer they have, I don’t think they’re overrated,” Bulldogs head coach Pat Hill said. “See what they do the rest of the year, they’re a very good football team.”

“I didn’t think they were overrated,” wide receiver Bernard Berrian said, “I just thought we were that much better tonight.”

The Beavers went three-and-out again on their next possession. Fresno State then drove 52 yards and went up 10-0 on Asen Asparuhov’s 21-yard field goal.

Oregon State kicked a field goal at the start of the second quarter to cut the lead to 10-3. The Bulldogs immediately responded with a drive that went 80 yards, consumed 6:15 on the clock and culminated in a 1-yard pass to a wide-open Jeremy Johnson for the touchdown.

Oregon State’s Heisman Trophy candidate Ken Simonton scored on a 16-yard run to close the gap to 17-10, where the score would remain at halftime.

In the third quarter, the Fresno State offense lit up the crowd when Berrian made a diving catch in the end zone to complete a 28-yard touchdown pass. Less than five minutes later, Carr completed a short pass to Wright, who then broke two tackles and sprinted 70 yards for a touchdown to put the Bulldogs on top 31-10.

The Beavers opened up the fourth quarter with two quick touchdowns that closed the gap to 31-24 with 12:27 left to play. Seth Trimmer burned Fresno’s secondary for a 65-yard touchdown reception.

“We gave them the chance to breathe,” Hill said, “and when we gave them the chance they capitalized.”

“It’s part of the game,” defensive tackle Alan Harper said. “You win some, you lose some. You just have to make sure you get up afterwards.”

Oregon State would get no closer, as the Beavers committed six penalties for 50 yards in the fourth quarter and Fresno State intercepted a Jonathan Smith pass.

“A lot of it was the pressure Fresno State was putting on us,” Oregon State head coach Dennis Erickson said. “They were tough, aggressive and really came after us.”

Asparuhov kicked a pair of field goals late in the fourth quarter to seal the Beavers’ fate.

“We made some big plays, but we left a lot of plays on the field too” Carr said.

As the clock ran to 0:00, thousands of screaming fans rushed onto the field to celebrate the win over the highest-ranked football team ever to come to Fresno and tore down the goalposts at the south end zone.

The Bulldogs held Simonton to 42 yards on 15 carries—about 90 yards below his average last season.

Oregon State committed 19 penalties for 129 yards during the game.

“Yeah, they were choking us, and biting and scratching,” Carr said. “You can expect that, they’re a confident team.”

After being criticized for a lack of offense in the second half against Colorado, the Bulldogs racked up 264 yards of total offense and 27 points after halftime against Oregon State. That is 70 more yards and 10 more points than in the first two quarters.

Hill said that the play calling was no more or less conservative than in the past and that they ran many of the same plays, including short screen passes.

“Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t,” Hill said. “Tonight we had a lot of them that worked.”

The victory is expected to bring a heightened level of respect to the football program. Representatives from the Orange Bowl attended the game.

“That doesn’t mean we’re going to go there,” Hill said, “but at least someone flew out from the east coast to watch us.”

Hill said he would savor the victory for the evening, but that it would be right back to work Monday. The Bulldogs play the Wisconsin Badgers in Madison, Wis. on Saturday. Kickoff is 9:10 a.m. PDT.

The Badgers feature running back Anthony Davis, who rushed for 130 yards on Saturday against Oregon.

“We’ve got to work on making sure we’re focused for that whole thing,” Hill said. “A loss right now to our program would really hurt us to where we want to be.”

There's something else I asked him about, but didn't amke it into that story. In the week leading up to a game, he would turn on the PlayStation and take on that week's opponent. He could never get Fresno State to beat Oregon State on the playstation, but he beat them on the field.

Well, my asking him that gave the local Associated Press reporter a story idea.

sounds like a hell of a game! i am a huge texans fan, so that makes me a huge carr fan as well.

I follow the Texans, mainly because of my having interviewed him when he was the Carr that drove the Fresno State offense (I actually snuck that line into another story, too. :D)

Inkara1 said:
I follow the Texans, mainly because of my having interviewed him when he was the Carr that drove the Fresno State offense (I actually snuck that line into another story, too. :D)
i'm actually pouting in advance because i just know that they won't play all the texans games here in GA like they did in LA and that bums me out...if i had direct TV i could catch them all but that's a pretty fucking penny...i need to see if the have the games online and how much that costs.

Back