Hacked card - now what?

MrBishop

Last night, I found a computer in the trash. I opened it up, being curious and knowing that people are stupid enough to leave things like hard-drives and DIMMs still inside when they do so. I found no HD, 1 SIMM and... an unusual piece of hardware.

A DSS crack card and setup for DirectTV...hmmm

Well...I read a bit on it...it's cute, but I don't know how useful it is to me. Anyone know what this lovely card/setup can be used for or how to check if it's still good? :confused:

Thanks

deBish

If I understand correctly, it can be used to codify Directv access cards to allow you to get all the channels without paying for 'em all.

That used to be great, but it's not only illegal in the US, but DTV has started flashing cards once in awhile. If they find you have a hacked access card, they can either shut you down or report you for theft.

you could always look in the classifieds and call a couple of the guys and see what they say about it.

I'm assuming that if it was in the garbage along with the rest of the computer, that it might've been 'caught' and toasted. It could be a case of forgetfulness tho'.

I don't even have a friggin' satellite. Maybe this'd interest Prof :D

No, they don't crisp the hack card, they crisp an access card that's been hacked. The card in the receiver, not the card in the PC.

That's not to say it didn't fry from other ailments, though.

Dish Network is phasing out cards. Their receivers have the cards built in. When you activate the system, you give the person on the other end of the phone the smart card number that goes with the receiver, and they tell it that that number goes with the channel package ordered. That prevents hacked cards too.

Nope. Those units usually have either a serial or USB port, no? Running unix, I think. I know the TIVO units are that way.

Somebody will find a way if that's the case.

The DVR (similar to TiVo) units do, if I remember right, but the 311 receiver and 322 dual-tuner receiver just have coax in and out, and a phone jack on the back.

Back