happy earth day to you

tonksy said:
i'd be really surprised if his divorce is finalized seeing as how most states have a 6 months seperation rule. my guess is he was filing? but i could be wrong.

ummmmmmm yea about that..... unless something happened from the days of jjr512 its been more than 6 months. in fact I think its been a year or more but I maybe wrong on that

freako104 said:
isnt not doing anything and not caring in favour of it?

Inky did you get all the business done? I hope so since well this has been too long and should have been done considering when the divorce was and all

Good question, but I'd say that's being apathetic about it.

T-shirt time: I'm apathetic about apathy. :D

freako104 said:
ummmmmmm yea about that..... unless something happened from the days of jjr512 its been more than 6 months. in fact I think its been a year or more but I maybe wrong on that
ack! that long? well...i'm sure he'll be along to answer us this evening :)

prof - i guess i haven't been paying close enough attention :shrug:

The seperated in like sept, he filed in like oct

If I am not mistaken...

Yeah, separated in September, she filed her first paperwork a few weeks after, I filed mine on October 3. The thread "Tell me if this isn't strange" on Cato's board is the reason I was there yesterday. I'm going today to cut them a check for $275, after having to hit my parents up for that money last night.

Brandi and I were being nice for a little while, but she got argumentative after I didn't support her decision to quit Wal-Mart and made no bones about it. It turned into an argument about the same exact stuff, and then after her boyfriend got on the phone and threatened me with physical violence (I'm not scared of him but it's still a felony, as Brandi should know because her ex was arrested for the exact same thing... and it was his mother who pressed the charges). So now I'm going to be a bit more vigiliant about getting the paperwork done.

I tried to make it easy with a nice Marital Settlement Agreement, but if she wants to do it the hard way, I'm ready for some trench warfare. And if she had better not try character assassination, because I have so much stuff on her that it's not even funny.

Inkara1 said:
Yeah, separated in September, she filed her first paperwork a few weeks after, I filed mine on October 3. The thread "Tell me if this isn't strange" on Cato's board is the reason I was there yesterday. I'm going today to cut them a check for $275, after having to hit my parents up for that money last night.

Brandi and I were being nice for a little while, but she got argumentative after I didn't support her decision to quit Wal-Mart and made no bones about it. It turned into an argument about the same exact stuff, and then after her boyfriend got on the phone and threatened me with physical violence (I'm not scared of him but it's still a felony, as Brandi should know because her ex was arrested for the exact same thing... and it was his mother who pressed the charges). So now I'm going to be a bit more vigiliant about getting the paperwork done.

I tried to make it easy with a nice Marital Settlement Agreement, but if she wants to do it the hard way, I'm ready for some trench warfare. And if she had better not try character assassination, because I have so much stuff on her that it's not even funny.
here's what i don't understand...you have no children...you weren't married long enough for alimony...you can't own much as you are still a student...what do you possibly have to squabble over? why can't you just get divorced and stop with the arguing? that's what you paid you lawyer for, right? so you don't have to listen to her mouth.

She wants to profit off me. She thinks she's entitled to half the value of the car (which, under the law, is separate property because it was a gift TO ME from my parents, and the law states gifts to one individual are separate property). This is the same person who claims I have a $22,000 life insurance policy on myself... undoubtedly to make it look like I have more than I do (I used to have a policy for $10,000, and I cashed it out well before we split up). I found this out because while I was waiting to find out how much I would have to pay yesterday, I got a chance to look through the papers in the case folder... and there was a lot of interesting stuff there I was supposed to have been served with, but wasn't.

Inkara1 said:
She wants to profit off me. She thinks she's entitled to half the value of the car (which, under the law, is separate property because it was a gift TO ME from my parents, and the law states gifts to one individual are separate property). This is the same person who claims I have a $22,000 life insurance policy on myself... undoubtedly to make it look like I have more than I do (I used to have a policy for $10,000, and I cashed it out well before we split up). I found this out because while I was waiting to find out how much I would have to pay yesterday, I got a chance to look through the papers in the case folder... and there was a lot of interesting stuff there I was supposed to have been served with, but wasn't.
what does you lawyer have to say?

Well, I bought a copy of How To Do Your Own Divorce in California. It was written by a lawyer and published by Nolo Press, a well-known name in legal self-help books. It's had a lot of good info, and it has a CD with all the forms on it so I don't have to go downtown to get them.

I just hope you dont get screwed Aaron. best wishes with that. Hopefully youll be ok w/out lawyer even if the book is that good it might help to have a lawyer since they would know the law through and through

I'm pretty sure in this one, a lawyer would cost far more than you could gain from her. Just stick to your guns, you'll be fine.

freako104 said:
you may have a point. But I dont want her to clean you out
well eric, the good news is that she has no legal right to clean him out if her name is not on the vehicle anywhere and they own no other community property save furniture and the like. :shrug:
she has no claim for child support (no kids) or alimony (i think you need to be married 10 years or become disabled during the marriage). at best i'd say she is grasping at straws. :)

inky? they got a book like that for-....shit, i guess i'll be filing in georgia....in...august makes 6 months of living here....they got a book like that for georgia?

Inkara1 said:
Bingo. $40 book, or $100-an-hour lawyer?

I still suggest you get a consult even if you don't hire a lawyer. I look at it this way...nobody buys a medical book if they need to do surgery on their leg. :shrug:

tonksy said:
inky? they got a book like that for-....shit, i guess i'll be filing in georgia....in...august makes 6 months of living here....they got a book like that for georgia?

I checked Nolo's site, and they only have editions for California and Texas. But there were books from other publishers at the store (I went to Barnes and Noble in north Fresno), so what I'd suggest doing is going to a bookstore and checking where the legal self-help books are. I'm sure there are several ones there that could help.

Back