hard water on windshield

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
How to remove it?

I've been browsing through the net and they say that a green scotch brite and white vinegar will do the trick. Is it true? Has anyone tried this?, is it necessary to wash afterwards?

Finally, another tip as to how to remove them and prevent them?

Vinegar cleans almost anything & doesn't need to be cleaned off afterwards.

So are you running straight water in the washer fluid bottle and thats whats causing them?I always pick up washer fluid (under $2 cdn for a 4litre jug)

A.B.Normal said:
So are you running straight water in the washer fluid bottle and thats whats causing them?I always pick up washer fluid (under $2 cdn for a 4litre jug)

I rarely use the washer function, i'd rather wash it myself and get it dry with a piece of soft fabric.

Rain is what's causing it, cleaning it everytime right after it stopped raining is insane.

You might try CLR, or LimeAway.
I have a slight fog on one of my vehicles, and have both solutions.
I'll try them both tomorrow, and let you know.

Luis G said:
How to remove it?

I've been browsing through the net and they say that a green scotch brite and white vinegar will do the trick. Is it true? Has anyone tried this?, is it necessary to wash afterwards?

Finally, another tip as to how to remove them and prevent them?

Maybe some extra-fine steel wool or

Bon Ami cleansing powder

(rinse after)

To keep the water rolling off and it's better than Rain X try:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/aquapel/aquapel.jsp

The Other One said:
Maybe some extra-fine steel wool or

Bon Ami cleansing powder

(rinse after)

Have you actually used either one? I'd be afraid they'd fog the glass. I don't know though. I don't think I'd want to try urine though, my cabin filter sits right at the base of the windshield. :lol:

chcr said:
Have you actually used either one? I'd be afraid they'd fog the glass. I don't know though. I don't think I'd want to try urine though, my cabin filter sits right at the base of the windshield. :lol:

I have indeed used a piece of super-fine (grade 0000, from a scale of 0 to 0000) steelwool on car windows. It's perfect for the very top of your door window that always picks up a messy 1/2 line of dirty water spots when you roll it up into that fuzzy weatherstrip groove while it's still wet from rain or wash and let it dry like that.

As for Bon Ami it always works great on the glass lid of the electric skillet. It doesn't have any phosphates, chlorine, perfume or dyes in it. It rinses clean; I don't think there's anything in it that would fog up a windshield, although I've never actually tried it on a car. But if I couldn't get ahold of 0000 steel wool and the hard water spots were something that needed to go I would give it a shot. It's a mild abrasive for cleaning and polishing--- their slogan is "Hasn't Scratched Yet" with the newly hatched chick.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. I use 000 to polish fork tubes when I replace the seals, it would never have occured to me to use 0000 on glass.

chcr said:
Cool, I'll keep that in mind. I use 000 to polish fork tubes when I replace the seals, it would never have occured to me to use 0000 on glass.

Originally I read it as an idea for removing paint on glass instead of a using razor blade, like paint overspray from a can of primer; you could also use it on your chrome exhaust for bits of road tar or dots of rust, though maybe test first on an anodized or stainless muffler...

Back