Hawaiian Orca?

nalani

This is apparently only the third case of an Orca beaching itself in Hawai'i. It's weird to see a Killer Whale in Hawai'i .. I don't know much about them but I thought they couldn't live here ... but there have been sightings of hundreds of them over the years.

nalani

has anyone harvested its meat?

That particular killer whale? No - it was too emaciated and sick. They did harvest tissue samples for testing.

If you're asking if anyone harvests its meat in general here in Hawai'i, the answer is no. Whales are protected mammals and they're not a part of our Native diet.

Frodo

Even in the hay day of whaling, I don't think they bothered with Killer whales. However, they are pretty smart critters. There was a whaling town along the northwest coast back in the 1800s where they would watch for gray whales to swim by. They would then jump in their long boats to harpoon them. One particular killer whale learned that if he herded the grays past the boat, the men would cut out the tongues and give them to him. After a while he even started grabbing the rope and pulling against the grays after they were harpooned. This went on for about 40 years until the killer whale died. When he washed up on shore, they knew it was him because of how the rope had rubbed away the teeth.

nalani

Interesting story, Frodo .. I've always believed whales to be one of the most intelligent creatures on the Earth.