Headbangers Ball

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Anybody remember it from when the M in MTV meant music? The tall cutesy "VJ" (whassisnmane) put on leather & tried to look tough. Then Ricki Rachman came along & made it entertaining (he owned the best metal club in LA, the CatHouse).

Last night, my wife & I watched the reincarnation of it on MTV2 (where the M still stands for music). Holy shit, these people need to lighten up. The "VJ" looks like he was ready for a skinhead party & the band he was interviewing looked too old. It took me 20 minutes to realize the singer was Tim Ripper Owens, formerly posing as Rob Halford & doing a piss poor job.

Headbanger used to mean more beer, lotsa p*ssy, aged leather & good times. Now it means screaming for no reason whatsoever & looking like Curt Cobains closet. People do realize that Nirvana destroyed music don't they?

chcr

Too cute for words
People do realize that Nirvana destroyed music don't they?

Unfortunately, not all of them. Evidently, many people think killing yourself is a noble act. :shrug:

IDLEchild

Ahh I expected as such. Oh when did rock go from 14 minute guitar solos and singing about women and sex to rehashed riff throughout the whole song and singing about how painful life is after a record deal and millions of dollares.

Cobain, however, was a genius. He didn't destroy music but brought in a change that you don't like...that does not equate destruction of music for everyone - only to you Gonz and others that share you opinions.

While he maybe have been an idiosyncratic lost cause he did reach people, he achieved the first and foremost goal of music...the difference is he did it with good music...not uproarious whining like todays Numetal bands.

and on the subject..NUmetal....Kill this genre already, it produces 95% of shitty rock today.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nice :bs: BCD. Since Nirvana oozed from the filth of the sewers of Portland/Seattle & brought us such wonderments as rocks stars wearing flannel shirts & Hole, has there been anything original in the hard rock field? Anything resembling interesting? I can name two-Disturbed & Godsmack. Two in 20 years. Evel Axel can't put out his trite nonsense without Slash. Nirvana destroyed music...more specifically,the hard rock/metal scene. Shit, these days even country artists look like Ted Nugent & sound like Bob Seger.

chcr

Too cute for words
You misunderstand me. It wasn't their music (although I wasn't that fond of it) it was all the shit that went on afterward. As for "14 minute guitar solos and singing about women and sex" may I refer you to "The Shape I'm In" by The Band or more recently "Things Have Changed" by Bob Dylan? We're 100% in agreement on NUmetal though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Looking back, punk killed the 14 minute guitar solos.

"Music" has always been & will always be about sex though. At least the 70's & 80's provided some semi-intellectual doublespeak. Today's tunes have no playfulness. Wang Dang Sweet Poontang is funnier than Pussy Sells.

IDLEchild

Gonz said:
Nice :bs: BCD. Since Nirvana oozed from the filth of the sewers of Portland/Seattle & brought us such wonderments as rocks stars wearing flannel shirts & Hole, has there been anything original in the hard rock field? Anything resembling interesting? I can name two-Disturbed & Godsmack. Two in 20 years. Evel Axel can't put out his trite nonsense without Slash. Nirvana destroyed music...more specifically,the hard rock/metal scene. Shit, these days even country artists look like Ted Nugent & sound like Bob Seger.

You talk as if he was suppose to be a rock messaih or something ushering in change and promising us a better music frontier...no..he simply did his thing. His filthy style was his own and so was his music. You can't hold him responsible for the drop of rock music, he is not to be balmed for ingenuiety or other cookie cutter rock acts.

...and Disturbed and Godsmack?? please..you can't be putting down Nirvana when you think these bands are promising new comers in the last 20 years. Ofcourse it all looks like shit when your only focus is mainstream. Godsmack and disturbed have an interesting song or two but by no means are they anything promising. Soundgarden, Rage against the machine, Tool, Audioslave, hell even Korn and Linkin Park are more promising.

It is simple your preference that does not suit the music today...not Cobain's wretched efforts. He made music..thats it. The pedastal people place him upon is theirs, not his.

IDLEchild

Gonz said:
Looking back, punk killed the 14 minute guitar solos.

"Music" has always been & will always be about sex though. At least the 70's & 80's provided some semi-intellectual doublespeak. Today's tunes have no playfulness. Wang Dang Sweet Poontang is funnier than Pussy Sells.

Fuck yeah. Jimi Hendrix talked about the same thing as these rappers do today but his work is on whole another level. His guitar work, his lyrics, his mischevious style of singing all melded together to create magic.

Foxy Lady is no different than rap songs talking about sex but Foxy Lady does it right and then some.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
IDLEchild said:
Soundgarden, Rage against the machine, Tool, Audioslave, hell even Korn and Linkin Park are more promising.

Soundgarden & RATM were around back then. Tool & Korn are interesting but I wouldn't go across town to pick up a CD. Linkin Park-I don't care for 'em, & Audioslave I've not heard.

I just realized...I named two & you only (quickly) came up with 4. Pretty sad indeed.

IDLEchild

Gonz said:
I just realized...I named two & you only (quickly) came up with 4. Pretty sad indeed.

I stay on the alternative side more so I do not know many more decent bands but there are many which aren't mainstream.

Rock is in a sad state today. Every rock video that makes it across on MTV these days is another Numetal band talking about love gone awry....*snooze*

13th step isn't so bad either.

Mirlyn

I like some of Nirvana's stuff, but can't stand anything played on Headbangers Ball. It's more like screamers shite. :shrug:

MTV2 is slowly moving towards the ways of MTV. In the six months we've had it, its gone from 24x7 music videos to 3/4 music videos. In fact, MTV was playing videos tonight while MTV2 played diaries or whatever. So much for trying to get back into MTV. Anyone know if M2 is still around and playing good videos?

BeardofPants

Woah, *twilight zone music* Something that I agree with Gonz on..... Does this mean that all my hair is going to fall out? Can I throw my razor away now? And more importantly, is the sky falling? :lloyd:

freako104

I miss the old MTV. I miss headbangers ball. I do like Nirvana tho they arent a fave. I miss the old GNR, Metallicas old sound(pre load), and some others.

Soundgarden, Rage against the machine, Tool, Audioslave, hell even Korn and Linkin Park are more promising.

Soundgarden and RATM are no more. Tool is about the only band there I will agree with you. tho i would say SG too. I miss them. Tool is and always will be one of my favourite bands. KoRn I like the first two albums but not after Follow the Leader. LP is allright but I am not a big fan of theirs.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
BeardofPants said:
Woah, *twilight zone music* Something that I agree with Gonz on..... Does this mean that all my hair is going to fall out? Can I throw my razor away now? And more importantly, is the sky falling? :lloyd:

Nope. It just means that you have to give the pants back. :grinyes:

BlurOfSerenity

bleargh?
i like some music that even i can admit sucks. Coal Chamber, a "numetal" band, immediately comes to mind. at times their riffs and words SUCK. but i love them.

a lot of people hate my favorite band, AFI. "they scream", these people say, "so they suck. their songs have no meaning." they dont scream all the time. they never screamed all the time. also, if their songs have no meaning, then why do so many of them mean so much to me? why do i cry while hearing some of their words? it's highly unlikely that their music actually "means nothing".
/end afi rant.

everyone is awesome to someone.

freako104

ash r said:
like some music that even i can admit sucks. Coal Chamber, a "numetal" band, immediately comes to mind. at times their riffs and words SUCK. but i love them.

their first album was pretty good and had some good riffs in it.

and Primus sucks and I love Primus

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Primus does not suck...they're just too advanced for the average listener

Camelyn

Gonz said:
Primus does not suck...they're just too advanced for the average listener

Saying Primus sucks is like giving A13 negative Karma. It's an homage. :D

Every musical era has genres that have people protesting that they have destroyed good music. Rock and Roll, Disco and Punk, to name a few, got that rap.

The fact of the matter is that music is in constant evolution. Just because you don't dig what's currently out there does not mean that it isn't worthy or lacks innovation. As always, the "new" sound that is a breakthrough will always have it's share of clones, until someone else discovers another new sound or innovation.

I would rather have the constant flux, with all its hits, misses and growing pains than have music be a stagnant repetion of what made a hit a hit, 20 years ago...