Help Out! 80's v.s. 90's ( Which was the better musical decade)

Please Vote on which musical decade was best: to 80's or 90's

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I think the 80's was too much bubble gum pop and hair bands myself, although I was there, right along with them at the time. The 90's aren't as bad, but I would easily vote either 60's or 70's were far superior.

Thulsa Doom

The only decent thing either era ever produced was grunge. And that was just for a blip of time after the hair bands finally faded and before the corporate pop took over. *shivers*

Pardon me Im gonna go listen to some Satchmo...

chcr

Too cute for words
Hey, the eighties gave us Thomas Dolby and Blinded by Science. One of my favorites.

Thulsa Doom

tonks said:
every decade had some good stuff :shrug:

TD - are you a big grunge fan?

yeah. it was the last flash or visceral raw rock energy left in the musical medium before the whole thing petered out and an age of empty corporate driven preprogrammed pop took over. And no the 80’s were just as vacuous. And I grew up in the 80’s and I was always SO jealous of those people who grew up as teens in the 60’s no fucking fair! The 80’s was a musical waste land speckled with a few treats that you really had to search for (U2, GnR, some others). It was a desert of empty synthesizer driven garbage combined with perfume metal and flash dance like post disco pac man pop. It was an era when black music went bad, rock became a skeleton on the edge of collapse and New Kids on the Block type corporate formula dreck had its genesis. So yeah thank god for grunge. For a few years there the phoenix of rock rose again and screamed in primal furry before burning itself out in a bang. But for a moment it was so nice. Rock music was actually the POPULAR music. Not just outer edge stuff or going through the motions geriatric rock. It grew quickly and quietly in the northwest then in 91 Nevermind hit like a nuclear bomb. And it blew away EVERYTHING else. Clean slate. No more hair metal. No more culture club-like euro trash. Just primal hard edged punk/metal/rock grunge. With REAL feeling. And a REAL pulse. Beautiful. Then POP it was gone like that. It certainly couldn’t sustain itself. But then the good stuff never does. The slime is a lot easier to sustain.

tonksy

TD - i need your help with some song identification...i wanna say it's mad season but i don't know...they got a song called seasons change?

Camelyn

Thulsa Doom said:
yeah. it was the last flash or visceral raw rock energy left in the musical medium before the whole thing petered out and an age of empty corporate driven preprogrammed pop took over. And no the 80’s were just as vacuous. And I grew up in the 80’s and I was always SO jealous of those people who grew up as teens in the 60’s no fucking fair! The 80’s was a musical waste land speckled with a few treats that you really had to search for (U2, GnR, some others). It was a desert of empty synthesizer driven garbage combined with perfume metal and flash dance like post disco pac man pop. It was an era when black music went bad, rock became a skeleton on the edge of collapse and New Kids on the Block type corporate formula dreck had its genesis. So yeah thank god for grunge. For a few years there the phoenix of rock rose again and screamed in primal furry before burning itself out in a bang. But for a moment it was so nice. Rock music was actually the POPULAR music. Not just outer edge stuff or going through the motions geriatric rock. It grew quickly and quietly in the northwest then in 91 Nevermind hit like a nuclear bomb. And it blew away EVERYTHING else. Clean slate. No more hair metal. No more culture club-like euro trash. Just primal hard edged punk/metal/rock grunge. With REAL feeling. And a REAL pulse. Beautiful. Then POP it was gone like that. It certainly couldn’t sustain itself. But then the good stuff never does. The slime is a lot easier to sustain.

Exactly everything he said.

With one addition. The eighties one redeeming feature was the huge underground hardcore punk scene, with bands like MDC, Bad Brains, SNFU, DRI, Dead Kennedys, The Exploited. There were thriving local scenes all over North America and tiny independant labels were cranking out locally produced and sold albums. Nettwerk records (now famous for producing Avril Laving, Sarah McLachlan and SUM 41) was one sucl label with artists like Skinny Puppy and the angsty Grapes of Wrath. The underground punk scene basically went "poof" in the mid-nineties, just as grunge was reaching it's peak. It's still around, but nowhere near as large as it was in the eighties.

\M/
HTC
/L\​

Montreal Hardcore. Had that symbol painted on me leather jacket, I did :D