Here's an interesting parental question...

tonksy

So we are about to run off to the post office. Marlowe wants to play on the computer so she says "leave me here", I say "No way, Jose", she says "why?", I say "you're too young".
Which reminded me of my own childhood where I was left alone at her age for several hours at a time. I know times have definitely changed and I am not about to leave her alone now...but I was wondering at what age is it acceptable to leave your child alone? When did you parents of older kids start?

The guidelines (we don't have a law, just a guideline) here are:

at 10 can be alone.
not until they're 12 can they be in charge of other children.

I think those make sense, and it's about what I did (I have left a 9 year old to like...run to the corner store or something). One has to also take into account how long you're gonna be gone, the responsibility/propensity to panic in the face of danger of the child in question, and whether they're going to take the parent's absence as an opportunity.

Depends on the child and the home\house situation.

And of course gender
brow.gif

I'd say 14 minimum for boys 16 for girls to begin to roam and range freely outside the home (out and about)
with a cel phone leash and constant 'we know your 'where-abouts'.

But your question is kinda like my raising of me only wee tot.

At what age should your kids have unrestricted access to assault rifles? heh heh

Funny, while my Son lived here he could literally lay his hands on (and was fully trained in the proficient and safe use of) a full range of firearms.

The answer of course is similar too your initial question.

Some kids can never be trusted out of your sight for one minute no matter what their age and others are fully programmed and able to supervise other children from an early age...

so yeah it depends...

I remember being left alone when I was around 10 or 11, then I was allowed to be in charge of my little brothers when I was probably 13 or 14. Then my oldest brother and I gave the younger ones swirlies. Then I needed a babysitter until I was 23.

Winky said:
Depends on the child and the home\house situation.

:grinyes:

Ours was left for minutes at a time when he was 8 or 9. Running to the post office, fast food, stuff like that. He's now just short of 13 & he gets hours alone, if we're busy. Shopping, visiting the folks, that type of crap. He'll get whole days after 15, maybe. At 18 he'll be in college or in his own place so we can't control that. :shrug: :D

Coming from a teenager's perspective I would say staying home alone all depends on the child and if they can take care of themselves and not be afraid. I use to always be home alone with my brother and sister while my parents were at work. My brother and sister are six years older than me, so it was OK. However once they went off to college my parents had no hesitancy in letting me stay home alone. My parents have gone to India for 2 weeks and have left me by myself.

Now I am pretty responsible therefore I didn't throw any crazy or wild parties. But kids in my school who have been left home for a week or more have thrown crazy parties where kids have smashed tables and windows. The kids broke into good china and stole all the good liquor. If your child starts throwing crazy parties then take action from there however otherwise trust your kid.

Staying home alone also allows a child to mature. Staying home alone has taught me a lot about cooking and responsibility. Let your child stay home alone very the start. Leave him alone for 2-3 minutes while you go out and extend the time over a period of time.

I can name a few on here who still shouldn't be left alone.

Unless there is a law specifically covering it, use your own judgment, and be home half an hour before you told them you would be.

I was left alone at around 8 or 9? Babysat my brother and other children when I was still at intermediate - so around 10, 11? I was mature for my age though.

I think I was left alone at around 7, I used to play outside with my bicycle too. At the age of 9 I was already taking the bus home from elementary school (not the school bus, the urban one) and sometimes I walked home. By the age of 15 I had to be at home before 10pm, but I could spend the whole day outside.

I was probably 9, maybe 10, when my mom started leaving me home alone. I think I was 12 or 13 when I started baby sitting...

My brother was much older when he was left home alone but that's cause he was a real fraidy cat.

I just wanna add that you know your kid, you know when it's time. I am more comfortable leaving the 10 year old home alone at this point than I am the 12 year old.

When you're worried to distraction when you're out for the 15 minutes, you know the kid isn't ready.

One time Sawhney89's parents let him invite like 15 people for an overnight party, while they went to the beach, 70 miles away.

Heh, there was so much drinking that one guy threw up then drove home at 4 AM.

Amusing how you all just drew the conclusions that we were participating in underage consumption of alcohol. The kid was drinking energy drinks, we were playing Monopoly.

at 13 I was left alone every weekend, all weekend. Never had a problem, never threw a party.

Some other kids at that age should not be left alone for 2 minutes, depends onthe child.

Latch key kid prudy much on my own from about sixth
grade charged with the responsibility of looking out for my sister
15 months my junior.

Til my Son left last fall for collage just turned 18
he wasn't ever without our ever loving watchful supervisions.

V2.0's often bleating about staying on her own. I told her very simply. There's a law against it. If the neighbours saw us all leaving without her, they could call the police, and have us arrested, and her put into 'protection'.

Conversation ends right there .... every time.

Altron said:
One time Sawhney89's parents let him invite like 15 people for an overnight party, while they went to the beach, 70 miles away.

Heh, there was so much drinking that one guy threw up then drove home at 4 AM.
Altron said:
That's what you call a party.. Rock On :toast:

*edit*Sorry about the double posts...

Marlowe wants to play on the computer so she says "leave me here",
I'd also be concerned what they might do on the computer unsupervised ,even an innocent search can bring up some awful stuff.

Back