Hey, Bish...

Inkara1

I've been wondering... how many people mispounounce your kid's name? For example, jay-vee-urr instead of the correct haw-vee-air?

Practically everybody :(

The french people will use the word "Janvier" (which means January) and just skip the 'N'. Makes it sound like Ja-v-yay!!

Some people actually try to do the 'hr' sound for the 'j'. Makes some sound like they're clearing their throats. FOr those that try...I tell them to think of boxing and the bevy of boxers named "Jesus". That'll get them on the right track. My family's gotten good at it by now, even though on my side...the 'h' sound isn't used in french at all.

Those that can't hack it will tend to just call him "Havi" or "Jag" <---his initials.

He's going to be starting daycare soon.... a whole new pile of people who can mangle his name. :D

Fun, fun, fun :)

Ooh...almost forgot...with a Spanish first name, english middle name and french family name...there will always be someone out there who will mangle one of the three.

i've always wondering how you pronounce the name yves. there is a boy at my daughters' daycare named yves and they say "e-ves"...but that just doesn't sound how i imagined it would be said.

tonksy said:
i've always wondering how you pronounce the name yves. there is a boy at my daughters' daycare named yves and they say "e-ves"...but that just doesn't sound how i imagined it would be said.

Think Eaves or Eve's except that the "s" is almost silent.

MrBishop said:
Think Eaves or Eve's except that the "s" is almost silent.
that's, bish...wonder why the difference? this child looks hispanic...do you think it is pronounced differently elsewhere?

tonksy said:
that's, bish...wonder why the difference? this child looks hispanic...do you think it is pronounced differently elsewhere?

Lots of coutries use french as a primary or secondary language. Kid might be Haitian-mixed or from southern France. The near-Basque region and Euskerans tend to be fairly dark and occasionally have french names.

I havn't seen Yves used in other languages.

i have a friend named Yves, and we all either call him "e-VEZ" or "YUH-vez", sometimes the S is pronounced more S-like. he doesn't complain, lol. maybe i'll start pronouncing it correctly just to throw him off :D

Back