Hey, chcr!

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
What's up with the Tom Terrific avatar? I didn't think you were old enough to know about him...

or Crabby Appleton (he's rotten to the core)...:D

When I was a kid he was on Captain Kangaroo every morning. I loved it. There's this kid I know that works in our retread plant named Tom and I called him Tom Terrific one day (nobody had any idea what I was talking about). That got me thinking about it so I looked it up online. :D Remember Mannfred too?

P.S. I'm older than you are and you remember him. :lol:

Yeah...most of my childhood kid-show heros are dead now :(

Mr.Dressup
Mr.Rogers
Capt Kangaroo
The Friendly Giant
:crying4:

834captainkangaroo.jpg

This is the web-blog I wrote the day the Captain went to Davey Jones locker.

* * * * * repost * * * * *

Once upon a time, there was a man named ‘Bob Keeshan’, who cut his bangs straight across his forehead, called himself a “Captain,” and conversed out-loud with bunnies, moose, and grandfather clocks. No, this man was not incarcerated in a lunatic asylum; rather he was universally venerated as the Dalai Lama of children’s television. Today he is dead, and like any good preacher, my sermon to you is not to grieve, but instead to rejoice.

Rejoice, my friends! Captain Kangaroo has passed on. Off to join Fred Rodgers in the Big Neighborhood In The Sky… where everyone is Special, and the feelings of every little inanimate object are Special, and there is never, ever anything negative.

(Ahhhh…can you hear the little ding-ding of trolly?)

As fathers of Pansy TV, they helped to foster the illusion that the world is a ‘perfect little place’ with simple, morally sound answers to every situation in life. Niceness, the primary virtue, was the potent solution to every problem: as easy to slip into as a cardigan and pair of clean Keds.

The Captain never set well with me. I guess what this means is that he definitely did not remind me of my father, grandfather, or any other real-man I ever met. He was a male role model, who never represented the male role. In fact, in hindsight, his relationship with Mr. GreenJeans, Tom Terrific, and Mighty Manfred was a little odd. Can someone tell me why there were no female figures on the show? Or was that silent, sadistic rabbit supposed to be female? And with regard to Mr. GreenJeans, what exactly is up with someone who names a same-sex character according to his TROUSERS?

Mr. Rogers was worse. Even my wife admits Mr. Rogers made her wish PBS had commercials. He never seemed to be locked into reality. His hypnotic, saccharine, effeminate ways have probably trained generations of predators to lure little children into trolleys, apartments, and two-seater sportcars, to their doom.

For the past 2.5 million years kids had to be tough, in many countries they still are. Being civilized we eliminate the basic human natures and reduced exposure to the real facts of life. Kids now see a bunny as cute and fuzzy and couldn’t imagine it as being food. They see themselves similarly: fuzzy, cute, and ultimately safe from harm. But the wolves are still out there.

In our society we have removed anything deemed as dangerous or violent to children. In the past Indians let children use bows, arrows, and other dangerous tools and taught them to kill from an early age, yet they were very respectful of life, land, and each other. They didn’t need a Fred Rogers to tell them, in a once-upon-a-time voice, that they were Special. These kids already knew that, and if you crossed them, they’d prove it to you.

Ted Nugent, now there is a man who should have a children’s TV show today. Instead of showing kids the pride of their effeminate side, that it’s OK to have two mommies or alternative daddies, forest animals and talking furniture, perhaps he could teach them how to impale a moose with a razor-tipped aluminum shaft, praise God, and salute the flag.

Now that is Special…

Teach a child that s/he should be afraid of everything and they will grow up fearful.
Teach a child that there is something special about everything and everyone if you look hard enough, and they'll become inquisitive and open.

Find the balancing point...and you're king. The world is neither good nor evil...it just is.

MrBishop said:
Teach a child that there is something special about everything and everyone if you look hard enough, and they'll become inquisitive and open.
I teach my daughters that there is good in everyone, but if you have to look for it; you're better off moving on.

:D

ah com'on HL, I'm great with kids.

You know, I knew a guy who wouldn't let his son have young friends over to spend the night (or let him spend the night elsewhere) because he just knew that was what made boys queer. Perspective, RM, perspective. They're kids, not newly recruited soldiers.

chcr said:
You know, I knew a guy who wouldn't let his son have young friends over to spend the night (or let him spend the night elsewhere) because he just knew that was what made boys queer.
Guess that tells you what happened on sleepovers when HE was a kid, huh?

Yeah, well I'm not that guy. My daughters are inquisitive polite little social-lites.

I have perspective, just not yours.

Sorry, maybe perspective was the wrong word. I just don't feel like millions of little boys and girls are all fucked up as a result of having watched Captain Kangaroo or Mister Rogers. Now Barney and the Smurfs on the other hand... :lol:

eh, I just remember hating both Rogers and La Capitain as a kid, Seasame Steet was more my game. That Blog was a just a momentary ispiration off the cuff. ;)

they stopped airing his show here...so my mom explains it to me with...
the guy died.

I come to find out later of course that he didn't :hmm:

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah no wonder I'm a mess :nuts:

Leslie said:
they stopped airing his show here...so my mom explains it to me with...
the guy died.

I come to find out later of course that he didn't :hmm:

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah no wonder I'm a mess :nuts:

I'm gonna take a flyer here and guess there are other reasons as well. :p

chcr said:
You know, I knew a guy who wouldn't let his son have young friends over to spend the night (or let him spend the night elsewhere) because he just knew that was what made boys queer. Perspective, RM, perspective. They're kids, not newly recruited soldiers.

I resent that remark...and so do several Marines looking over my shoulder...:p

Gato_Solo said:
I resent that remark...and so do several Marines looking over my shoulder...:p
dude...i wouldn't trust a marine to stand behind you that closely, they're s shifty bunch ;)

tonksy said:
dude...i wouldn't trust a marine to stand behind you that closely, they're s shifty bunch ;)

Q: Why does the Navy take Marines on ships?
A: Because sheep would be too obvious...

Yesterday I asked a Marine SSgt "Aren't you part of the Department of the Navy?", and he answered "Yep. We're the men's department"... :p

Back