Hey, Chuckie!

HomeLAN

Won't you please fuck directly off?

The Homeland Security Department said Wednesday that the cities of New York and Washington will get less money in this year's allocation of grants, drawing harsh criticism from politicians in both areas.

The department announced the recipients of $1.7 billion distributed through various programs to help states and cities help prepare for potential terror attacks and natural disasters.

Outrage came from members of both parties in New York, where GOP Rep. Peter King, chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, said "DHS and the administration have declared war on New York City."

Department officials have changed the criteria used to award money under their programs, saying that instead of looking at population, they are trying to focus more on where risks exist. They are also taking into account how well municipalities have used past grants.

The department said there is risk throughout the nation and that preparedness dollars therefore need to be spread out.

One of the more controversial programs is the department's Urban Areas Security Initiative, which is aimed at cities and for which $757 million is being distributed.

New York and Washington are getting less under that program this year. New York, for example, will receive nearly $125 million, a reduction of about $83 million.

Homeland Security officials pointed out, however, that New York is still the largest recipient in the program.

Officials from New York and Washington -- the two cities targeted in the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks -- criticized the actions of the Homeland Security Department.

Washington Mayor Anthony Williams told reporters Wednesday he was disappointed that funding for the city and its suburbs was dropping from $77 million to $46 million.

New York, he said, is also facing a "huge cut in Homeland Security funds. They're as much a target as we are. I think it's shortsighted for the federal government to cut funds in this way."

Sen. Charles Schumer, a New York Democrat, complained that Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff had "promised to fight to increase New York's formula, and here it is, we're being whacked with a two-by-four and we don't hear a peep out of Secretary Chertoff."

"Other states that have very little problems got an increase," he said at a news conference. "Georgia got a 40 percent increase. Somehow this administration thinks that Georgia peanut farmers are more at risk than the Empire State Building. Something is dramatically wrong."

Yeah, chuck-baby, ain't nuthin' down here but peanut farmers. Ever heard of Hartsfield-Jackson airport? Busiest in the US? Remember where the 9/11 attacks originated? Gee, would that be - busy airports?

Take a good look past your own front yard, you ass-backwards fuck. This is a national threat, needing a national solution. You still have the greatest share of funding of any part of the country, so grow up and shut up.

HomeLAN

Missed all those peanut farmers in the city of Atlanta (where the money is going) did you? Yeah, so did I.

Between this butt-nugget and Shrillary, the people of NY are really batting 1.000 on senators, I tell ya. :rolleyes:

Professur

You get what you vote for. If you're more concerned with getting free abortions than national security .....

Have I mentionned that I love peanuts?

HomeLAN

We can get you fresh off a farm if you wanna drive about 2 hours south, or we can get 'em boiled if you wanna go about 2 hours north.

In Atlanta itself, we can get about what you can, probably.

Professur

Oooo. Damn. My dad loved fresh, unroasted, un-anythinged peanuts, and could never get them. He'd have gone to pig-heaven hearing you say that.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I live between Oak Ridge nuke plant and a US Army munitions manufacturing plant. One bomb strategically placed and we got a hole the size of Asia here.

NYC would lose a subway and some damnocrats. And Hillary.

Then again, we all know Southern lives are worth much less than northern lives. Right Abe?

Slim Pickens

I live (just east of BR) between two of the largest ports in the country, and the Strategic Oil reserves...but that doesn't matter either, right?

unclehobart

Yeah... we in Georgia have a little thing called the Centers for Disease Control... the largest biolab and storage facility in the world holding everything from smallpox to ebola. Its just on the other side of one of those peanut fields.

Lets also not forget Kings Bay; home of half of the nuclear sub fleet... built right under that coastal peanut field.

HQ's for god knows how many Fortune 500 companies ... Coca Cola, UPS, CNN... all in peanut fields.

chcr

Too cute for words
Slim Pickens said:
I live (just east of BR) between two of the largest ports in the country, and the Strategic Oil reserves...but that doesn't matter either, right?
Hey, ya don't got Wall Street, do ya????

HomeLAN

Nope. Just a lot of the shit that supports the companies that trade there.

OTOH, The financial centers at Lenox have a reasonable facsimile.

Schumer has a major case of cranio-rectal inversion, but as he's A democrat leader, expect him to draw a pass on this one.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Try living near steel mills, GE, Magnavox, Essex, BAE & Zestos ice cream. They ignore us completely.

HomeLAN

What Schumer doesn't understand is that these are the very areas for which citizens of his own state have been leaving in droves to relocate. That's why Atlanta, with nearly five million residents, is home to the Centers for Disease Control, the world's busiest airport and the largest telecommunications infrastructure in the nation.

And it's no secret now that Atlanta, home to the tallest building in the nation outside of New York or Chicago -- right behind New York's Chrysler Building -- was considered a major target following 9/11. Throw in CNN's headquarters being located in Atlanta, and I think there's a fairly good reason, beyond peanuts, to bring this area up to speed with those cities that have, to now, enjoyed the lion's share of urban security funds.

The same can be said for Jacksonville, Fla., which is rapidly becoming a home to many of America's top corporations. Its metro population is growing rapidly -- here come those New Yorkers again -- and its commercial and naval ports are critical to our nation.

As for Alltel Stadium, it's probably not an icon, but it's been host to a Super Bowl, and likely will be to more. Doesn't an emerging "Big League" city deserve a seat at the table of protection?

Omaha. Well, if nothing else, the man who owns much of America, Warren Buffet, lives there! Moreover, need I remind Sen. Schumer that a little military organization known as the Strategic Air Command is located in this critical part of our nation?

Doubtless, Schumer would wonder if wheat or livestock are more important than a New York building. Well, Omaha matters, too, senator.

And then there's Louisville. A New York website took a shot at "protecting Churchill Downs" being somehow more important than protecting New York. Have they ever heard of Fort Knox?

I truly do love New York. But as I've written before, some of its business and political leaders need to learn there's the rest of America out there, and it's important and well worth defending. The peanut farmers rest their case, Mr. Schumer.

Someone gets it.

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/matttowery/2006/06/08/200312.html