hey green freak.......

tonksy

i am moving in a wee bit and i was wondering....how do you pack plants? i was thinking of lining them up in a deep box and having that be the last box i put on the truck....sound good? should i water them before or no?

tonks said:
i am moving in a wee bit and i was wondering....how do you pack plants? i was thinking of lining them up in a deep box and having that be the last box i put on the truck....sound good? should i water them before or no?

That would be what I would do. Unless they're larger plants, then they can just go into the truck like that. I would maybe water them a little before they go on the truck, depending on the weather though.

Just be careful so that they don't get crushed or damaged by stuff shaking around and see to that they have been watered. It should turn out fine.

i do deliveries for a florist occasionally, during the winter we use a bunch of tissue paper inside the plastic bag for a bit of extra insulation. weather definately makes a difference. try to keep them as warm as possible.

tommyj27 said:
i do deliveries for a florist occasionally, during the winter we use a bunch of tissue paper inside the plastic bag for a bit of extra insulation. weather definately makes a difference. try to keep them as warm as possible.

Maybe if you keep out some quilts and wrap the boxes they are in with the quilts? As well as stuffing the inside of the box with newspaper or tissue paper to keep them still...

Depends on the kind of plants,certain kinds would be better smoked to alleviate the stress that moving always brings on a person. :trippy:

Nixy's got the right idea with packing something in between the pots so they don't move or tip over. Also, tommy's is a good idea too on covering them with plastic. Anything that's going to insulate them from the cold. I wouldn't leave them in a truck too long, and make sure they're the first thing off. Do you have too many to fit in a car, so you can control the heat and don't have to cover them up?

When I moved, I took cardboard boxes and pressed the top flaps into the box so they were flat against the sides. Then I got a ton of styrofoam peanuts and lined the bottom about 3 inches thick. Then, one by one, I put all the pots that were similar sizes together and squished in the peanuts between them. That way the pots wouldn't move around or tip over.

Here's the thing though, I wouldn't put my plants in closed boxes. I insisted they go in the back seat of my (climate controlled) car so that there was no chance of damage. They can be very sensitive to cold, and they could suffer a lot of damage if left in a cold truck for a long trip.

As far as watering goes, I wouldn't deviate from your normal watering schedule unless you're planning on leaving them in the boxes for quite some time. In which case they'll go into shock anyway with the temperature changes, lack of light, and lack of air flow. ;)

good idea on the packing peanuts. :D
can't stick 'em in the car...car's going one direction, me and my stuff another.

How many pots do you have? What about in the front seat of the moving truck? How far of a drive are we talking about?

naw..the cat's have to ride in the front....i forget...8-10 hours something like that....i have a bunch but i suppose i'll only take my fav's....most are going dormant now anyway....

if they freeze they're dead...you can't have them in the back of a moving truck

Back