Hey Luis!

tonksy

You guys got the tooth fairy? Rob and I were wondering if it was just an english cultural thingy.

Yes, thou it isn't a tooth fairy. We call it "el ratón" (the mouse), kids leave their teeth to the mouse and in the morning they find a present, typically money.

There's also the boogie man, which we call "el coco", it even plays part in a lullaby:
duermase mi niño
duermaseme ya
porque viene el coco y te comerá

a bad translation would be:
sleep my boy
sleep now
'cause the boogie man is coming and he will eat you

Luis G said:
Yes, thou it isn't a tooth fairy. We call it "el ratón" (the mouse), kids leave their teeth to the mouse and in the morning they find a present, typically money.

There's also the boogie man, which we call "el coco", it even plays part in a lullaby:
duermase mi niño
duermaseme ya

sleep my boy
sleep now

No offense to your culture, but that seems like a pretty shitty lullaby. I don't think I would sleep a wink if I heard that as a little kid! Same with our "Rock a by baby" which I believe ends with the child and their crib falling out of a friggin tree. No wonder society is somewhat messed up!

Ohh but if they fear the coco they will do their best to fall asleep :p

How about Ring-Around-the-Rosie and it's subject content? Hansel and Gretel too. Kid's stories and rhymes are sick sick sick.

Oh yeah.. The Sandman, Morpeous teh Dream King... Niel Gaiman... cult graphic novels... ok, so comics then... me is in lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvv........

(Well why else would I have Death of the Endless as my Av? She's cute!)

Coz there ain't a married man alive who doesn't go to sleep scared (specially since that Bobbit episode)

Professur said:
Coz there ain't a married man alive who doesn't go to sleep scared (specially since that Bobbit episode)

I don't go to sleep scared. I'm smart enough to find places to sleep at work. ;)

Professur said:

So I guess trusting her is WAY out of the question huh? Best to learn to sleep with one eye open, short of just not getting married?

Luis G said:

duermase mi niño
duermaseme ya

sleep my boy
sleep now

Hey, to us it's also the toothmouse! Here's this thing that you have to put the tooth in your shoe and the mouse then comes and collects it to build his house with. I once lost a tooth that had come out and ended up putting a note of apology and a piece of cheese in my shoe :rolleyes:

And we have equally bizarre lullabies - one in particular goes:

Siembamba Mamma se kindjie
Draai sy nek om
Gooi hom in die sloot
Trap op sy kop
Dan is hy dood

Which, roughly translated, means:

Siembamba Mamma's little baby
Wring his neck
Throw him in a ditch
Stomp on his head
And then his dead

I think out forefathers were slightly screwed in the head.

AlphaTroll said:
Draai sy nek om
Gooi hom in die sloot
Trap op sy kop
Dan is hy dood

Which, roughly translated, means:

Wring his neck
Throw him in a ditch
Stomp on his head
And then his dead

I think out forefathers were slightly screwed in the head.

Only slightly huh? :eek8:

Luis? como se dice hot chocolate or cocoa? Does it literally translate chocolate caliente? Fucking Dora the Explorer and her damn bilingualness making me thinkthis early in the morning on 2 cups of kaffe...

Yes, chocolate caliente is correct. Sometimes you can suggest that it is hot by just saying un chocolatito.

I was under the impression that anything with -ito or -ita was the smaller version of the word. For example, "hermanita" or "hermanito" meant "little sister" or "little brother". So is this like little chocolate?

woodman19_99 said:
I was under the impression that anything with -ito or -ita was the smaller version of the word. For example, "hermanita" or "hermanito" meant "little sister" or "little brother". So is this like little chocolate?

I ask you...if adding the "ito" or the "ita" makes those words mean "little brother" and "little sister" what is just "sister" or "brother" cause the roots of the two words you posted are the same...

Back